The mixtape is going on vacation this week, which means that we'll need a surf and sun soundtrack worthy of beach balls, boardwalks, 90 degree weather, ocean breezes, a complete lack of work, sandy toes, fishing, being lazy, day drinking, more sun, mermaids... man Summer is great. Celebrate the warm weather and the official start of summer with this ice-cool mix of SWEET summer tunes.
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "Sink/Let It Sway" - Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Let It Sway
NEW SONG! Starting it off with new stuff. Let It Sway
is due out 8/17.
2. "Swim" - Surfer Blood - Astro Coast
It doesn't get more summer than this one, guys.
3. "Causers Of This" - Toro Y Moi - Causers Of This
If you need me, I'll be buried in the sand, CHILLWAVING.
4. "Holiday" - Vampire Weekend - Contra
Obligatory, despite the fact that this flip-flop worthy record came out in January.
5. "Used To Be" - Beach House -
Even the names of the bands and songs are appropriate, surf, beach, holiday, weekends, swim...
6. "Family Waves" - Dinosaur Feathers - Fantasy Memorial
Picking one of these songs was tough, because all of Fantasy Memorial
sounds like the beach. This track won due to having "Waves" in the title, talking about following the weather, and also sounding like a volleyball game in the beginning.
7. "Bang Pop" - Free Energy - Stuck On Nothing
Free Energy will be my car stereo soundtrack of the summer. End.
8. "Sun Hands" - Local Natives - Gorilla Manor
This one might function better for late-night bonfires.
9. "Lying Around" - Magic Bullets - Lying Around 7"
This band out of San Francisco really knows how to bottle California with a few guitars and a very Smiths sound.
10. "Babelonia" - School Of Seven Bells - Disconnect From Desire
The bonfire ready, "make your move" song. Definitely in slow motion. DFD
is out 7/13.
11. "You Wanted A Hit" - LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
And you get played out by this banger from LCD Soundsystem. Have a great weekend!
Yeah we did 11 songs this week. Deal with it. -joe