9 Artists To Listen To If You Love J. Cole
    • TUESDAY, APRIL 17, 2018

• Posted by: Elissa Fertig

J. Cole just announced yesterday via Twitter that his new album KOD will be dropping this weekend, April 20th:

The rapper even hosted a listening party at Gramercy Theater last night, which was announced just hours before he went on stage - no press, no bags, no phones allowed. According to sources, the album's acronym could stand for "Kidz On Drugz," "King Overdose," and "Kill Our Demonz." In honor of the rapper's new tunes coming out, here's 9 artists to listen to if you like J. Cole.

1. Cozz

As the first signee onto J. Cole's Dreamville imprint, the LA-based rapper ought to sound a little bit like Cole himself. He's got those same take-no-prisoners lyrics and half-groaned hooks that'll make you shiver by minute two.

Must Listens: "Zendaya (feat. J. Cole), "Knock Tha Hustle", "The Hook Up"

2. Vic Mensa

Vic Mensa got his start with Chance the Rapper's group SaveMoney, released the mixtape INNANETAPE to critical acclaim, and his latest album The Autobiography pretty much flew off the shelves. Mensa follows the same kind of melodic raps that J. Cole is known for that'll get you crying and then laughing before you can say "igh!"

Must Listens: "Liquor Locker (feat. Ty Dolla $ign)", "U Mad (feat. Kanye West)", "OMG"

3. Isaiah Rashad

His first-ever big release, 2014's EP Cilvia: Demo, debuted at number 40 on the Billboard 200 Chart, which is not something everyone can say. Rashad is well-known for laying all his shit out for you to hear about -- and then laying on a super-sweet hook to top it off with.

Must Listens: "Free Lunch", "Heavenly Father", "4r Da Squaw"

4. J.I.D

Another one out of the Atlanta rap scene, J.I.D raps over tight beats with a tough-as-nails style and whining, nearly anxiety-inducing voice. He released his debut LP about a year ago, The Never Story, so this up-and-coming rapper has still got plenty of rhymes in store for us.

Must Listens: "8701 (feat. 6LACK)", "EdEddnEddy", "Hereditary"

5. EARTHGANG

This duo of Johnny Venus and Doctur Dot make a kind of otherworldly sing-songy rap in the genre of OutKast (and some other southern rappers we know and love). Checkout their latest LP Royalty that has just the right amount of sick rhymes paired with a melody to really get you goin'.

Must Listens: "Meditate (feat. J.I.D)", Flickted", "Liquor Sto'"

6. Big K.R.I.T

Big K.R.I.T has been around for a long while now and is a staple of Southern rap. His latest full-length, 4Eva is a Mighty Long Time, did well critically and commercially alike, and his raps are catchy as hell and have a really full sound.

Must Listens: "Confetti", "1999", "Mind Control (feat. E-40, Wiz Khalifa)"

7. Scarface

Scarface is the OG Southern rapper, with big woofer sounds, harsh raps, and friends and collaborators that include all the mainstay classics like Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and 2Pac. He even discovered Ludacris. Scarface can definitely be a little harsh sometimes and his raps slice more than J. Cole's but you know what they say: it ain't over until the fat dude raps. I think that's what they say, anyway.

Must Listens: "Guess Who's Back (feat. Beanie Sigel, Jay-Z)", "Smile", "On My Block"

8. IDK

Not to make a bad joke but if IDK's name describes your familiarity with him, you're probably not alone. The Maryland-based rapper is pretty new and sounds best over the lazy, smooth beats he usually spits.

Must Listens: "No Wave", "No Shoes on the Rug, Leave Them at the Door", "OMW"

9. Schoolboy Q

If you're not familiar with Schoolboy Q then 1) you're lying, 2) you should probably put the rock that you live under up for sale and join the rest of us where the beats are sick and the raps are fire. He's Lamar-certified, for crying out loud.

Must Listens: "Studio", "Hell of a Night", "Dope Dealer"
    Hot Baeble Videos
    XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

Northern State live at Luna Lounge

Northern State live at Luna Lounge

God's Plan

God's Plan

Live It Up

Live It Up

Rockstar ft. 21 Savage

Rockstar ft. 21 Savage

MotorSport ft. Nicki Minaj and Cardi B

MotorSport ft. Nicki Minaj and Cardi B

Something Else

Something Else

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

Sexy Song

Sexy Song

God Is A Woman

God Is A Woman

© 2018 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.