Classics such as "The End of The World" and "The House of The Rising Sun" are being covered by current artists for the hit Amazon series Man in the High Castle.
The show is about what the world would be like if the Axis powers won World War II, and the outcome is basically apocalyptic, so to pair nicely with the grim atmosphere, Danger Mouse collaborated with Sam Cohen to produce a fresh take on classics for the series. The cover for "The End of the world," a song by Skeeter Davis, was done by the excellent folk rock singer/songwriter Sharon Van Etten
. She and the song are a match made in heaven, as her voice fits amazingly with the lonesome message and the cinematic orchestra.
The full retro covers album is entitled Resistance Radio
and is due out April 7th.
1. The End of the World - Sharon Van Etten
2. Nature Boy - Andrew VanWyngarden
3. Can't Help Falling In Love - Beck
4. Spoonful - Benjamin Booker
5. The House of the Rising Sun - Sam Cohen
6. A Taste of Honey - The Shins
7. Who's Sorry Now - Angel Olsen
8. Speaking of Happiness - Waterstrider
9. Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child - Michael Kiwanuka
10. Love Hurts - Grandaddy
11. Lonely Mound of Clay - Big Search
12. I Only Have Eyes For You - Kevin Morby
13. Who's Lovin' You - Kelis
14. Unchained Melody - Norah Jones
15. Lead Me On - Curtis Harding
16. All Alone Am I - Maybird
17. Living In A Trance - Karen O
18. Get Happy - Sam Cohen
Also check out our session with Sharon Van Etten: