10 Artists That Charli XCX Should Cover
    • TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2018

• Posted by: Elissa Fertig

This is Charli XCX performing in a lip sync battle as Ed Sheeran on television, fully dressed in synthetic red hair and jorts. If that's not the best news you've heard all day, then you must be having a pretty damn good day.

That's all fine and well, but Charli is an extremely versatile pop artist who can transform many songs into pieces of art. If we got to choose who Charli was covering, that would be even better. We loved this "Shape Of You" cover but now we just want more, so here's a list of several artists with songs Charli should cover next, like, now. Right now.

1. Tove Styrke

Charli's already collaborated with one Tove, so what's another? Most of this Swedish pop singer's songs are about falling in love or going to parties - or both at the same time. And you know what? Charli's songs are about all those things too. If I had to choose two people to party with and sing each other's music, it just might be Tove Styrke and Charli XCX.

2. Billie Eilish

Charli has come out and said she's a Billie Eilish fan so basically we're halfway there. Billie even Instagrammed a picture of them hanging out, which you can see below. Billie has a distinctive voice which is part of her appeal but I have full faith that Charli would do it justice. The truth is: what the president of the U.S. really meant when he said "let's make America great again" was "a Charli XCX cover of 'bellyache' would make America great again". Charli, if you're reading this, the future of the United States rests with you and and Billie Eilish.

XCX

A post shared by billie eilish (@wherearetheavocados) on

3. Kanye West

Does Charli XCX rap? Does Kanye West really think he's a God? Questions the world may never get answers to. But the world could get: a Charli XCX cover of "Gold Digger". Can you imagine? It would probably sound like the tears of angels and a bunch of screaming teenage girls. I'm here for it.

4. Natalie Prass

With her newest and remarkably well-received single "Short Court Style" off her upcoming album The Future and the Past, the only thing that could make Natalie Prass' budding sophisti-pop stardom even better would be a cover by Charli XCX. It's 2018, and we live in an XCX world, where anything is possible.

5. Britney Spears

I just feel like the world would be a more fair and equal place if it had a place in it for Charli XCX to cover "Toxic". Can we all just lay aside our differences and agree on this one thing?

6. CHVRCHES

These are both some of Baeble's favorite artists - Charli and CHVRCHES - and their sounds would work well together. Charli tends to straddle a line between mainstream and avant-garde, somewhere in the middle of pop ballads like "Boys" and the walloping, deconstructed bass line of "Track 10". CHVRCHES occupies a somewhat similar space in the indie pop world, and a cover of "The Mother We Share" would probably make a grown man cry. If that grown man was a Charli XCX fan. Which everyone should be.

7. Troye Sivan

A Charli cover of "Wild" or "My My My!" could only be a combination of pop music's greatest gems. It would probably sound as genius as whoever decided to put chocolate and peanut butter together for this first time. That's the kind of pop candy we really need in the world.

8. Sia

To be completely honest, I think Sia and Charli XCX sound completely different, but it would be incredibly cool to hear a Charli cover of "Chandelier" or "Cheap Thrills". I feel like both of these artists really occupy the same ethos of being badass powerhouse vocalists in the music industry who aren't going away anytime soon.

9. Clairo

If Charli isn't the ultimate "Pretty Girl" then I don't know who is. Clairo has a much more stripped-down sound than Charli does but I could easily imagine her adding a kind of maturity to Clairo's music that Claire Cottrill herself hasn't yet discovered.

10. Taylor Swift

Okay, this one is pretty obvious since she's opening for Taylor on her Reputation tour for the next few months, but I would be so there for literally any Charli cover of any Taylor Swift song. "Fearless"? Duh. "Blank Space"? Again, duh. "Look What You Made Me Do"? Yes, yes and yes.

Remember: in an XCX world, anything is possible.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros live at World Cafe Live

Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros live at World Cafe Live

SXSW live at Red 7 - SXSW

SXSW live at Red 7 - SXSW

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

Taki Taki ft. Selena Gomez, Ozuna, Cardi B

Taki Taki ft. Selena Gomez, Ozuna, Cardi B

Dirty Mind ft. Ty Dolla Sign

Dirty Mind ft. Ty Dolla Sign

The Queens Finest

The Queens Finest

Drip Too Hard ft Gunna

Drip Too Hard ft Gunna

Without Me

Without Me

Baby I'm A Queen

Baby I'm A Queen

Sexy Song

Sexy Song

© 2019 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.