The Groundhog saw its shadow
, but we're not worried about the cold ruining our selection of tuneage. When we say "mixtape," this time we really mean it-- a quixotic collection of songs from all ends of the new musical spectrum. Think of it as the Party Mix of tune collections, some crunchy, some cheesy, and all delicious.
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "Bad Girls" - M.I.A. - Bad Girls
M.I.A. leaves a bad taste in many a mouth (especially when she's peddling hypocritical politics), but we've got to admit, this is a pretty tasty beat. Love that first chorus progression. Just try and tune her out.
2. "Wowowow" - Cursive - I Am Gemini
The concept album isn't the most accessible of mediums these days, but Tim Kasher's brazen voice coupled with unpredictable riffs makes this latest Gemini
track a rewarding listen , even if it's a little abrasive.
3. "Brooklyn Sunburn" - Teen Daze - All Of Us, Together
Teen Daze is trying to sedate you with awesomeness. Another futuristic/retro track.
4. "Eighth Avenue" - Hospitality - Hospitality
This is just fun.
5. "The Devil Takes Care Of His Own" - Band Of Skulls - Sweet Sour
Trying to demonstrate Allison Mosshart and Jack White don't have a monopoly on leather-jacket sounding bad-assery.
6. "The Morning (The Weeknd Cover)" - Saskatchewan - Unreleased
A random submission from a band we'd never heard of before this week. Really well done, and worthy of mixtape status.
7. "Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen Cover) (Live)" - Cults - Unreleased
Another cover. Leonard Cohen didn't make the tape this week, but this song is so awesome. Anyone remember the Don Henley version? Like most Leonard Cohen songs, that was the first time I heard it (as a cover, that is).
8. "Eyes Wide Open" - Gotye - Making Mirrors
Get used to having this guy around.
9. "In The Yard" - Bowerbirds - The Clearing
Taking folk to the next level.
10. "It's Real" - Real Estate - Days
OK so this isn't a "new" song by blog standards, but god dammit it's so good. Been on repeat ever since we sent our writer to his death at a buffet restaurant