7 Valentine's Day Candies Paired With 7 Songs
    • WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018

• Posted by: Elissa Fertig

Valentine's Day is one of those holidays that is really made exciting by the fact that it includes a lot of candy. It's too bad we're not all still in elementary school and we can't all tape chocolates and cards to each other's desks anymore (although I'm sure if you did that in your office space, you'd make yourself pretty popular) but you can jam out to this Valentine's day while eating some of those valentines. After all, what is your income good for besides buying candy anyway? Paying rent? No way. Listen to these super-sweet tunes while you chow down and have a rockin' Valentine's Day.

1. Candy Hearts: "God Only Knows" by The Beach Boys

A classic song for a classic candy. Everyone seems to associate this sweet treat with V-day and the Beach Boys should always be associated with love and good times. "God only knows what I'd be without you" their sweet, innocent voices croon over the gentle bubblegum pop melody. God bless the beach boys, and also those brightly colored sugar hearts with messages like "Call Me" and "XOXO" on their faces. Some things in life stay pure.

2. Chocolates: "Burn" by Ray LaMontagne

Chocolates are an easy and no-brainer Valentine's Day gift - they are ridiculously delicious and always look pretty. This song is slow and heavy, calling back to dusty childhood memories and plaintive, simple lyrics. Chocolate is sweet and simple but still heavier, richer and deeper than other kinds of candies. If you're giving your valentine this candy, things must be serious. Or you just like chocolate. Both are good.

3. Peppermints: "I Love How You Love Me" by Bobby Vinton

Peppermints are small tokens of affection you can show your valentine, something easy and pretty that you can slip to them after a candlelit dinner or walk on the beach. So, too, is Bobby Vinton's slightly-sappy love ballad a tribute to the finer half of the relationship: you. Also, a pro-tip here for all you Valentines Day buffs: this song was covered by Jeff Magnum and it's kind of better than the original, the same way that altoids are better than tic-tacs. It's just a fact.

4. M&Ms: "LOVE. FEAT ZACARI" by Kendrick Lamar

M&Ms are a little bit newer of a love candy, a little bit more hip. On V-Day they always have the ones that are colored pink and red and white, but only during this time of year, which makes it all the more special, if we're being honest. So, too, this song is pretty hip and poppin', and the only one that sounds quite like it on the album, DAMN. M&Ms also give you both the sweet candy outer shell and the chocolate middle, so you can kill two birds with one stone. This song too has R&B, pop, and rap all rolled into. It's a one-stop shop for all your candy and Kendrick cravings.

5. Sugar cookies: "I Love You So" by The Walters

Sugar cookies are a pretty refined Valentine's Day treat, a little unusual, definitely exciting. This song by The Walters has just enough spunk overlaid with their melodic but apathetic vocals to get you thinking about what they're really thinking. If your lover gets you a sugar cookie for Valentine's Day, the meanings could be endless--maybe it's just a sugar cookie, maybe it means more. "Saying I'm the one / but it's your actions that speak louder" croon The Walters - yikes! Watch out for those lovers' day spats. Maybe stick to chocolate chip.

6. Lollipops: "What Lovers Do" by Maroon 5, SZA

Nothing is sweeter than a lollipop, the same way nothing is sweeter than some good old-fashioned pop music. Maroon 5 still makes music guys! This duo together came out with this super catchy single a little while back that has been playing on the radio ever since. It'll give you something easy and sweet to chew on while you're thinking how to surprise your sweetheart next.

7. Cupcakes: "Do You Love Me Still" by The Kooks

If you give your lover cupcakes on V-Day, it means you are all in. Cupcakes are a big deal! It's a commitment and maybe even a little bit of a risk to give your S/O such a fancy V-Day treat. The Kooks sing "I need your heart beating next to my heart / In love I am". All I'm saying is, it's a big deal to say that to someone. The same way it's a big deal to show up with a big box of cupcakes. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Maybe they're just cupcakes. Maybe The Kooks' gritty yet soulful melody isn't that deep. And yet...

© 2019 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.