12 Times Figure Skaters Spiced Things Up By Skating To Songs We Love
    • WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2018

• Posted by: Piera Lolandes

With the 2018 Winter Olympics well on their way and athletes winning medals left and right, it's hard to keep up with all the sports. One which I personally enjoy watching is figure skating, and now more so than ever before. This is probably because unlike previous years, the competition rules have changed quite a bit. Figure skating was known as a more dignified sport in which, for music, meant that your options were very limited. You were only allowed to skate to something like broadway musicals, a ballet, or operas, which meant not many people watching recognized the music. If you're anything like me and are constantly aware of the music around you, watching figure skating was a bit mundane because all you had left to keep you engaged was the skaters' great moves or their failed attempts and their falls.

The International Skating union officially allowed the women and men participating in the competition to use music with lyrics after the 2014 Sochi Games. This means that this year's Olympics will have a lot more musical variation than ever before. With that being said, we have chosen (in no particular order) songs that you're familiar with performed by the world's top figure skaters. This includes programs from previous Olympic Games, competitions, and of course this year's games in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

1. "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

In this short program, not from this year's games, Vincent Zhou has a nearly perfect score as he makes figure skating look easy. Not to mention that he's only 17 years-old and has somehow heard of this classic by Snow Patrol, no complaints here. It's a great song.

2. "With or Without You" by U2

This short program by Canadian pairs team Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford is from the 2017 Gran Prix Final. The song may belong to U2 but in this, it belongs to the skaters. It is a beautiful rendition of the song as it sounds way more romantic than the original.

3. "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt

There is no way you haven't heard this song, and if you haven't heard it in a while, then this is the perfect time to listen to it once again. Stephane Lambiel skates beautifully to this song at this year's Olympic Figure Skating Gala.

4. "Stay" by Rihanna

Sticking to the theme of enjoying the performances without the commentators, this performance by Canadian Ice Dancers Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir to Rihanna's hit song "Stay" during the Figure Skating Gala at the Sochi 2014 is just beautiful. Makes you wonder why this song isn't already a staple in every skater's arsenal.

5. "Candyman" by Christina Aguilera

Russian pairs team Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov choice of outfit and song could have been better but I'll take this Christina Aguilera song over a song without lyrics any day. It's cute because they look like actual pieces of candy twirling on ice.

6. "Radioactive" & "Believer" by Imagine Dragons

YES! Imagine Dragons in everything, please! Cleary I'm not the only super fan of this band. Moris Kvitelashvili's had the right idea by choosing these songs to free skate to. His technique combined with these songs has me believing I can too someday look this graceful dancing to this song.

7. "To Build A Home" by Cinematic Orchestra & "How It Ends" by Devotchka

Had to include this one because "To Build A Home" by Cinematic Orchestra will forever hold a special place in my heart and I was more than happy to learn that Dmitri Aliev chose it to be a part of his program. That song along with "How It Ends" by Devotchka is the perfect pairing to have you experiencing all the feels as you watch.

8. "Human" by Rag 'n' Bone Man

Czech skater Michal Brezina's free skate makes him seem superhuman as he does a great job on the ice. This song serves as a reminder to the judges that he is only human as he achieves something that not every human gets to accomplish in their life time - to twirl the way he does on ice like no one's business.

9. "Back In Black" & "Thunderstruck" by AC/DC

Ivett Toth of Hungary literally rocks as she skates to songs that are usually associated with other sports in the Olympics. More props to her as she chose an outfit out of the norm as it would not have been acceptable prior to 2003. Way to incorporate some rock 'n' roll, Ivett!

10. "Shape of You" & "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran

Of course one or two Ed Sheeran songs were gonna make it into this list. Known as a "Glorified wedding singer" to some, to others his songs are essential. Even to figure skating. They're especially fitting to couples skating because, love.

11. "Despacito" by Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee

The song might have lost the Grammy it so deserved but at least it gets featured in the Olympics, right? Definitely not the same. There are other songs featured in this video but let's just focus on the most popular. This song was probably chosen because in the short dance, teams are required to perform specific dances, and this year the requirement is a rhumba rhythm plus a Latin American or Caribbean-influenced rhythm. This is obviously a perfect fit.

12. "Halo" & "Run the World (Girls)" by Beyonce

Last but certainly not least, Beyonce songs. This is even more exciting as they were chosen by the truly talented Maé Bérénice Méité of France. If you don't know who she is, you will very soon. The girl is a star, just look at her go. I mean, who wouldn't feel that comfortable and confident skating to Queen Bey, who?!
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Live It Up

Live It Up

XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

God's Plan

God's Plan

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

BonBon

BonBon

Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

Move To Miami ft Pitbull

Move To Miami ft Pitbull

Long As I Live

Long As I Live

Fake Ass Friends ft. Dustin Atlas

Fake Ass Friends ft. Dustin Atlas

Sexy Song

Sexy Song

© 2018 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.