10 Songs That Abraham Lincoln Would Jam To On His 211th Birthday
    • MONDAY, FEBRUARY 12, 2018

• Posted by: Chris Deverell

[Photo Courtesy of Amit Shimoni / HIPSTORY]

Four score and seven years ago, or something like that, a little boy was born with a beard and a top hat. His name? Abraham Lincoln.

From being the 16th president to being part of the end of slavery in the U.S. and the head of the Union during the Civil War, Lincoln's life and achievements were well known. But what we don't know, and could only guess at, is what kind of tunes Lincoln would jam in between fighting the Confederacy and patenting Lincoln Logs. So, in honor of his 211th birthday we've cooked up a hypothetical little playlist for him, with all the songs we think number 16 would have enjoyed.

1. Mumford & Sons - "The Cave"

With his top hat and beard, Lincoln was the original hipster. It might be a little basic by now, but you could definitely catch Lincoln rocking along to the vinyl of this track back in the day.

2. Clutch - "Abraham Lincoln"

He was honest Abe, not humble Abe, and no doubt he would have dug this tune in his honor. Clutch were serious proto-stoner-rock icons, and I can just imagine Lincoln letting his top hat down and head banging to this track.

3. Kendrick Lamar - "I Do This (Remix)"

Even though K. Dot didn't name drop him himself, Lincoln for sure would have dug being mentioned at all on a Kendrick track. The lyrics might be a little too risque for playing in the White House, but I could see Lincoln getting his log cabin bumping to this old-school track.

4. Neil Young - "Let's Impeach the President"

While I think Lincoln definitely would have valued his own job security, I also think he would have valued the political and artistic expression in this track. After all, "keep on rockin in the free world" just sounds like his motto. That, and he probably would have preferred impeachment to how his time in office ended.

5. Cake Like - "Abraham Lincoln"

Who am I kidding, Lincoln would have every song that mentioned him by name on heavy rotation. The song doesn't really have anything to do with him, sure, but are you going to complain when people name drop you for seemingly no reason besides it sounds good?

6. Sufjan Stevens - "Come On! Feel The Illinoise!"

Forget one track, Lincoln would have played this entire album on repeat for days, and who could blame him? Everyone loves a good hometown shout out, and even if Lincoln was born in Kentucky, at heart and in office he was from Illinois.

7. Father John Misty - "Ballad of the Dying Man"

Not to get morbid, but this song could be used really well to describe Lincoln's life in office, with all of its highs, lows, achievements and frustrations. The song begs the question that Lincoln and the rest of us might have asked, "what if he had more time?".

8. Iron And Wine - "Upward Over The Mountain"

Lincoln sure knows a bit about heartbreak, and he knows that sometimes in order for things to get better they're going to have to get worse. "Upward Over The Mountain" speaks about shining hope where there once wasn't any, a theme Lincoln was familiar with.

9. The Decemberists - "The Mariner's Revenge Song"

Lincoln was obviously a big fan of theater (before it all went wrong), so I have a feeling he would be into this nautical odyssey. It's a nine-minute long epic that's more story than song, and a fun as hell tale of revenge.

10. Hilary Duff - "Sweet Sixteen"

Couldn't you see the 16th president throwing on some headphones in his room by himself and just dancing? Sometimes we're all just a moody teenage girl at heart.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

Vance Joy live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Vance Joy live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Morocco

Morocco

My My My Acoustic

My My My Acoustic

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

Let Me Go ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, watt

Let Me Go ft. Alesso, Florida Georgia Line, watt

Slow Hands

Slow Hands

Live It Up

Live It Up

Girls Chase Boys

Girls Chase Boys

Epic Day - Featuring JJAMZ

Epic Day - Featuring JJAMZ

© 2018 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.