8 Songs For When You're Lonely AF This Cuffing Season
    • MONDAY, DECEMBER 04, 2017

• Posted by: Chris Deverell

Urban Dictionary (because I doubt Merriam-Webster will pick it up any time soon) defines "cuffing season" as that time in the fall and winter months when people start developing the sudden urge to settle down and get into a serious relationship with someone. As they so accurately describe it, "The cold weather and prolonged indoor activity causes singles to become lonely and desperate to be cuffed." Cuffed, obviously, as in tied down to a relationship with someone.

It's a decent if imperfect way to beat the winter blues, but alas, it's not for all of us. Maybe you're coming off a bad breakup, maybe you can't bring yourself to redownload Tinder for the umpteenth time, or maybe, you realize how hard it is to attract a mate when you don't feel like changing out of sweatpants and it's 10 degrees outside and the sun goes down at 4:30pm. Whew. It kind of seems like cuffing season is something you should prepare for before it's too late, like animals getting a head start on hibernation well before the winter comes.

Anyways, for whatever reasons, plenty of us are feeling lonely af, and that's alright. Because there's tons of artists who know exactly how that feels. So if you're feeling a little down in the dumps about your love life right now, here's a couple of tracks that you can relate to.

1. Caribou - "Can't Do Without You"

Perfect for if you've just gotten out of a relationship and want to linger on how much it sucks. While it starts out a bit gloomy, hearing "I can't do without you" over and over, the repetition becomes hypnotic, and combined with the ever-uplifting drum and synths, the lyrics actually become an ironic mantra of self-empowerment.

2. Tyler, The Creator - "911/Mr. Lonely"

Look at sweet, sensitive Tyler on this track. Tyler and Frank Ocean play off each other wonderfully here, and the chorus is straightforward, "I can't even lie, I've been lonely as f***."

3. Desire - "Under Your Spell"

Ever crush on someone real hard, but can't find the nerves to make a move? It's almost worse than not having anyone at all. Dream-pop darlings Desire know exactly how that feels.

4. Chromatics - "I Want Your Love"

Pining away over that cutie you share the elevator with at work everyday? Feeling a bit blue over some unrequited feelings? This is the track for you. Perfect for when you get stuck in your feels, but up tempo and dancy enough to shake you out of them as well.

5. Alex Cameron ft. Angel Olsen - "Stranger's Kiss"

A master of sardonic humor and painfully real lyrics that speak to the soul, Alex Cameron nails this performance. Angel Olsen lends her own brand of intensely emotional fire, and this track just seems to nail the agony and ecstasy of longing for someone else, even if they're a complete stranger.

6. Blonde Tongues - "Hey Good Lookin"

There's just something about a good dream-pop track that always manages to hit you right in the gut. There's a dreamy and atmospheric melancholy throughout most of the track, before distortion-laden guitars cut through to drive home an emphatic outro.

7. My Bloody Valentine - "Sometimes"

It's best to listen to this track at the highest possible volume in order to let it wash away all your feelings. Taken from the aptly-titled album Loveless, "Sometimes" is the absolute godfather of the shoegaze sound, and you might recognize it from Lost In Translation. Ethereal and dreamy, it won't get you down as much as it will help you feel yourself during these lonely months.

8. The Stone Roses - "I Wanna Be Adored"

While actually written about the perils of selling out in the music industry, the lyrics still ring true for when you just wish you had a bae to spend time with. As a bonus, check out Chromatics' cover of this and decide which version you like better.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Magic Giant live at Baeble HQ

Magic Giant live at Baeble HQ

XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

Live It Up

Live It Up

Hanson live at Baeble HQ

Hanson live at Baeble HQ

Catch Me Outside

Catch Me Outside

Sebastien Grainger live at Radio Room

Sebastien Grainger live at Radio Room

Porcelain Raft live at Pier 2 - Brooklyn Bridge Park

Porcelain Raft live at Pier 2 - Brooklyn Bridge Park

Charli XCX live at Hype Hotel

Charli XCX live at Hype Hotel

Beach Fossils live at Hype Hotel

Beach Fossils live at Hype Hotel

The Rosewood Thieves live at Pianos

The Rosewood Thieves live at Pianos

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.