It's been a while since we've had the opportunity to compile a mixtape of new tunes purely based on what we've been listening to, especially with all the fuss about year-end this and holidays and such. So we're going to take this final Friday chance to pump a few tracks from the past month that have been racking up iTunes playcounts. Add them to your party playlist. See you next year!
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "We Were Children" - Tribes - We Were Children EP
Late edition for favorite EP of the year. Watch out for their debut album in early 2012. Bringing back the giddy, pragmatic alt rock of the 90s.
2. "D.D." - The Weeknd - Echoes Of Silence
Let's face it, The Weeknd is the best thing happening in R&B that most people haven't heard of yet. His third mixtape (just released) solidifies his vocal talent, while pushing the limits of his production. Double Michael Jackson points for the abbreviation-turned-music-lyric.
3. "Run Right Back" - The Black Keys - El Camino
There is something magical about this riff.
4. "Somebody That I Used To Know" - Gotye - Making Mirrors
This dude is big-name pop in Australia, and he had a prescence at CMJ this past fall, but I predict he'll have a pretty big year breaking into the stateside conciousness in 2012. Guest spot by a kiwi fave named Kimbra.
5. "Cannons" - Youth Lagoon - The Year Of Hibernation
Very sorry that I missed the Youth Lagoon train, but we're on board now. It's like Antlers doing chillwave!
6. "xxCross The Linexx" - The Chocolate Robots - Pizza Face
My favorite random discovery of something totally obscure and wonderful in 2011. These guys sent me their record in a pizza box. This is why we do what we do, folks.
7. "Serpents" - Sharon Van Etten - Tramp
Sharon Van Etten's sophomore record is showing her friendship with the Dessner brothers. This song builds like the best kind of National tune.
8. "Shipwreck (Ft. Thom Yorke)" - Modeselektor - Monkeytown
I'm pretty sure you could slap Thom Yorke's voice on ANYTHING, and it'd sound awesome. That being said, he does very few collabs, and this beat from Modeselektor is well crafted and deserving of his schizo-refrainics.
9. "Ambition (Ft. Meek Mill and Rick Ross)" - Wale - Ambition
Rick Ross infused his new Maybach protege with plenty of strippers and cash, but his more honest preoccupation with the conflict between aspirations and human relationships shows through in the album title, and especially the title track.
10. "Girlfriend" - Tribes - We Were Children EP
The band so nice we listed them twice.