Every year in the music world, someone always writes some very memorable lyrics. I mean, I'll never think about Katy Perry without hearing "I wanna see your peacock" and I'll never think of Radiohead without thinking "I'M A CREEEEP." Okay, that"s not necessarily true, but those are some lyrical moments I will truly never forget. 2016 delivered some more memorable lyrics, and we chose our favorites.
1. "Work, work, work, work, work, work."
- "Work" by Rihanna
...Followed by lots of gibberish. No one could ever figure out what the hell Rihanna was saying and memes took the internet by storm, but who cares? It was catchy, and it was Rihanna.
2. "If you would let me give you pinky promise kisses
Then I wouldn't have to scream your name atop of every roof in the city of my heart
If I could see you
Once more to see you."
- "Once More To See You" by Mitski
Oh man, I mean, anyone who's been through a breakup probably understands the desperate need to see that person one more time, for some closure. But we know we never get that closure - and Mitski displays the frustration caused by that perfectly.
3. "Holding hands under the table
Meeting up in your bedroom
Making love to other people
Telling each other it's all good
Kisses like pink cotton candy
Talking to everyone but me
I'm staying up late just in case you come up and ask to leave with me."
- "A Loving Feeling" by Mitski
Well, since we're talking about Mitski...
4. "I wanna see the whole world, I don't know how I'm gonna pay rent."
-"My Body's Made of Crushed Little Stars" by Mitski
Okay, one more... Every teenager can relate to this one. And adults too, probably. It's so obvious and blunt yet no one's ever thought to put it in a song before.
5. "Why you gotta fight with me at Cheesecake?
You know I love to go there."
- "Child's Play" by Drake
I think Drake crying and admitting that he loves Cheesecake Factory made my year.
6. "Who the f*ck do you think I am?
You ain't married to no average b*tch boy
You can watch my fat ass twist boy
As I bounce to the next d*ck boy"
- "Don't Hurt Yourself" by Beyonce Ft. Jack White
Just hearing Beyonce get that angry and curse that much is enough for me.
7. "Nothing else ever seems to hurt like the smile on your face,
When it's only in my memory, it don't hit me quite the same."
- "Pray You Catch Me" by Beyonce
Ah, when someone's never there, you start to forget what they look like. Lack of communication leaves room for the imagination...Or maybe erases it.
8. "Boy bye."
- "Sorry" by Beyonce
Well obviously now I can't stop thinking about how quality Lemonade's lyrics were.
9. "This is a low flying panic attack."
- "Burn The Witch" by Radiohead
Thom York just said something real serious, but he delivered it so calmly.
10. "I wanna fold clothes for you."
- "Foldin Clothes" by J. Cole
J. Cole admitting that doing good things feels better than doing bad things is another confession that totally made our year.
11. "I count my time in dog years
Swimming in sevens
Slow dancing in seconds
Oh, and I'm the one that loves you."
- "Dog Years" by Maggie Rogers
Maggie Rogers only has two songs out, but she's already proved with both of them that she truly has a way with words.