It's kind-of mind boggling to realize Lorde
is only turning 18 today. The New Zealand native, who took the music industry by storm, and became one of the most in-demand artists since her break out hit "Royals" in 2013 is still just a teenager.
Now that she's legal to buy cigarettes and lottery tickets in the U.S. it only makes sense to list 18 other fun facts about the musical wunderkind
you can throw out at your friends to make you look like the ultimate Lorde aficionado...cuz we all want that right?
1. Lorde plans to get a higher education. "I still really want to go to University, to study media and film probably." she told Interview magazine
2. She isn't into being labeled a "singer" Ella Yelich-O'Connor is a musician
3. She credits her mother for being the main influential force behind her mad songwriting skills.
4. Lorde and her NZ friends have a special term for thrifting "Op Shopping. As in, opportunity shopping. It's like thrift stores. It's called that because the stores are run by churches. So we get lots of vintage clothes. Its cool." she shared with NY Mag.
5. She'll never cut her hair. In July, she tweeted, "Basically I can never cut my hair because it is as much a part of my dance moves as a hand or a foot #mycurlyfifthlimb"
6. Lorde's hometown is called Takapuna.
7. Lorde made music history when her hit "Royals" hit No. 1 on Billboard's Hot 100, making her the first New Zealand solo artist ever to top the U.S. singles chart.
8. She may be an international music star, but tends to shy away from interviews and being photographed.
9. Lorde is a fan of Kanye West
and has cited him as a musical influence.
10. She is obsessed with royalty and celebrity culture. She told Vice in 2013, "I've been [obsessed with royalty] since I was a little kid. I used to write out all their family trees and everything! Now, though, I'm obsessed with really high profile celebrities who get really f--ked up I find it all so interesting, such tragedies that stem from being put on a pedestal."
11. Lorde drew inspiration for "Royals" "from all the ridiculous, unattainable opulence found in music by artists like Lana Del Ray and Kanye West."
12. Miley Cyrus
is her favorite Disney actress.
13. Lorde is the youngest artist to top the Billboard Hot 100 since Tiffany
with, "I Think Were Alone Now" in 1987.
14. She purposely loved and listened to the band Animal Collective because her dad hated it. Haha, teenagers...
15. Lorde has 5,972,512 "Likes" on her Facebook page.
16. Her boyfriend is 24-year-old James Lowe...just a nice guy who treats her right.
17. Lorde has a tattoo of a rose on her wrist.
18. Her stage style is critical for a good performance. "A lot of long dresses, and I also have this obsession with disgustingly chunky sneakers and shoes. That's what stagewear is about for meI've got to feel strong and feel like I can command attention," she told Teen Vogue.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LORDE!