In today's "everybody yakkin' about it" newsbit, Paste
issued their top fifty albums of the year, much to the chagrin of just about everyone with an opinion. Paste
is typically alt-leaning, folk-friendly and often comes as a left field contender but their early claim to the best-of throne has warranted a whole lot of chatter (since there isn't anything else to talk about). Although a few amicable Baeble buddies made it on the list (Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. and Dawes in the top ten!), we think the exclusion of Metronomy is sacrilegious.
Bon Iver claims the top spot, but that's less of a surprise than Kim Kardashian's divorce. Nice to see Adele and St. Vincent up there too in the top twenty. Actually the inclusion of My Morning Jacket and Fleet Foxes in the top three is almost TOO safe.
Almost more interesting than the list are the varied responses.
gave it a solid "meh-dictable" with the added note, "But I'm sorry, the idea that Childish Gambino made a better rap album than Drake did is just laughable."
Critic Maura Johnston
re-tweeted a sentiment from relatively unknown Chris Steffen. My thoughts exactly. "Hey list-makers, don't forget that 'Gold Cobra' came out this year. #doingyourjobsforyou"
editor and resident grump Chris "Weiny" Weingarten
nailed it. "The most hilarious thing about this is that Stereogum is probably going to get more traffic than Paste for putting it all on one page."
WE'RE GONNA DO THE SAME.
50. Frank Turner England Keep
49. Mates of State Mountaintops
48. Drake Take Care
47. Real Estate Days
46. Holy Ghost! Holy Ghost!
45. Those Darlins Screws Get Loose
44. Kurt Vile Smoke Ring For My Halo
43. The Joy Formidable The Big Roar
42. Wild Flag Wild Flag
41. James Blake James Blake
40. Portugal. The Man In The Mountain, In The Cloud
39. Gillian Welch The Harrow and the Harvest
38. Over the Rhine The Long Surrender
37. The War on Drugs Slave Ambient
36. Mister Heavenly Out Of Love
35. Childish Gambino Camp
34. Seryn This Is Where We Are
33. The Head and the Heart The Head and the Heart
32. Ryan Adams Ashes & Fire
31. Telekinesis 12 Desperate Straight Lines
30. Tom Waits Bad As Me
29. Feist Metals
28. Lykke Li Wounded Rhymes
27. Black Lips Arabia Mountain
26. The Low Anthem Smart Flesh
25. The Antlers Burst Apart
24. TV on the Radio Nine Types of Light
23. The Belle Brigade The Belle Brigade
22. The Black Keys El Camino
21. Charles Bradley No Time For Dreaming
20. Beirut The Rip Tide
19. Cults Cults
18. Wye Oak Civilian
17. The Civil Wars Barton Hollow
16. Yuck Yuck
15. Deer Tick Divine Providence
14. Adele 21
13. Radiohead The King of Limbs
12. Iron & Wine Kiss Each Other Clean
11. St. Vincent Strange Mercy
10. The Decemberists The King Is Dead
9. M83 Hurry Up, We're Dreaming
8. Dawes Nothing Is Wrong
7. Wilco The Whole Love
6. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. It's A Corporate World
5. Middle Brother Middle Brother
4. tUnE-yArDs w h o k i l l
3. My Morning Jacket Circuital
2. Fleet Foxes Helplessness Blues
1. Bon Iver Bon Iver
(see some of the reasoning over at Paste