5 Artists You Shouldn't Miss At Shaky Knees This Year
    • MONDAY, JANUARY 08, 2018

• Posted by: Chris Deverell

You know it's officially the start of the new year when the festival announcements start rolling out (well that, and when you constantly have to awkwardly rewrite the new date over the old one), and the direction of the last few days continues with the release of Shaky Knees' lineup announcement.

Shaky Knees, which takes place in downtown Atlanta, has been a bit of an antithesis over the years to the pop, EDM and rap-dominated festivals across the country, and continues with the same trend in 2018. Known for hosting predominantly indie rock acts, the festival this year has a few overlaps with other festivals, but is the first "band" (re: guitar) oriented festival of the group. There's probably plenty of big names you'll recognize on that list, and some you won't, so do give you a hand, we've compiled a short list of artists to not overlook if you're going to Shaky Knees this year.

1. Alvvays

If you know me, then you know that I haven't shut up about Alvvays for months now. Their latest album, Antisocialites, was released in September and was easily one of the best album of 2017. Every song by them is warm, fuzzed out joy that wraps you up in a sonic embrace, and singer Molly Rankin's vocals are simply hypnotic and mesmerizing. It's hyperbole, but seriously if you only see one band at Shaky Knees, make it Alvvays.

2. Circa Survive

Honestly, I didn't even see Circa Survive the first time I looked at the list, and it irks me a bit that they're listed so far down on the flyer. Having seen them live twice I have to tell you that this is not a performance to be missed. The entire band plays with a frenetic energy that feels like it's about to tear the venue apart, and their energy is matched in equal parts by their unparalleled skills as musicians. Be sure to check out our NEXT session with them and you'll see why you shouldn't miss them.

3. Waxahatchee

Katie Crutchfield, the brains behind Waxahatchee, is simply one of the best singer-songwriters on the scene right now. You'll probably get a taste of her full band set-up during the festival, but don't sleep on the power she possesses with just only an acoustic guitar and her own voice.

4. Post Animal

I put Post Animal on this list for two reasons. For one, if you see them, there's a chance you might get a peek at Joe Keery, yes Steve from Stranger Things, rocking out alongside the band, as he's a member of them. I say you might get a chance, because I have no idea what his life/scheduling is like, and tbh I haven't seen much of him in their recent Instagram posts, but there is a chance. Even if he's not there, you don't want to miss Post Animal's alt-psychedelic rock sound, and their entrancing live performances which I can attest to being great from first-hand experience.

5. Teenage Wrist

I love the wall-of-sound approach that Teenage Wrist takes, and their songs are just drenched in dreamy and heavy riffs. They have a super fun and unique sound, like Title Fight, Balance and Composure and My Bloody Valentine all wrapped up into one, and just because they're lower on the list, doesn't mean you should ignore them.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Robert DeLong live at Baeble HQ

Robert DeLong live at Baeble HQ

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

LP Laura Pergolizzi live at Baeble HQ

LP Laura Pergolizzi live at Baeble HQ

Taki Taki ft. Selena Gomez, Ozuna, Cardi B

Taki Taki ft. Selena Gomez, Ozuna, Cardi B

God's Plan

God's Plan

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

Live It Up

Live It Up

Stronger

Stronger

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

© 2018 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.