With this year's Super Bowl taking place in the biggest media capital of the world, the A-list talent of the music industry will spread across the tri-state area. And the media frenzy before the big game is acting as a post-Grammys showcase for mainstream music's biggest names.
If the giant slide that's invaded Times Square isn't your slice of thrill, perhaps the list of music events below will.
WEDNESDAY, January 29
- VH1 Super Bowl Blitz: Fall Out Boy, Brooklyn Bowl - Brooklyn
- Citi Evenings With Legends: John Legend
, McKittrick Hotel - Manhattan
Fresh off a spectacular Grammy performance, John Legend doesn't need an over-the-top spectacle to dazzle his audience. Just a man with a killer voice and a piano
THURSDAY, January 30
- VH1 Super Bowl Blitz: TLC
Beacon Theatre - Manhattan
- Citi Evenings With Legends: Band of Horses
, McKittrick Hotel - Manhattan
With new music appearing in the near future, look for Band of Horses to make an effort in returning to the sound of their earlier records after the critical disappointment of their most recent.
- Bud Light and EA Sports Hip Hop NYC Party: Run DMC
, The Roots
and Busta Rhymes
, Bud Light Hotel, Pier 88 - Manhattan
The premiere hip-hop event of the weekend features some of the biggest game changers in the history of the genre. Run DMC set the modern template for rhyming and fashion in hip-hop culture with their iconic material in the 1980s. And aside from performing as Jimmy Fallon's Late Night band every week night, The Roots' musical output is highlighted with with superb material all across their catalog. Busta Rhymes' hit-filled catalog features an unorthodox mic ability to rap at the highest speeds while maintaining a flow of top-quality rhymes.
- Fox Sports 1's Thursday Night Super Bash: Kings of Leon, Time Warner Cable Studios (Manhattan's Meatpacking District)
FRIDAY, January 31
- VH1 Super Bowl Blitz: Goo Goo Dolls, St. George Theatre - Staten Island
- Shape and Men's Fitness: John Legend, Mary J. Blige
and Marc Anthony concert, Cipriani 42nd Street - Manhattan
Mary J. Blige's on-stage collaboration with Disclosure
brought completely different genres together while expanding the dynamics for the vocal limits within house music. For a full concert feauturing Disclosure, check out this concert footage concert footage
- ESPN 10th Annual Super Bowl Party: Kendrick Lamar
and Robin Thicke
, Pier 36 - Manhattan
Under the tutelage of Dr. Dre, Kendrick Lamar descended into the echelon of hip-hip with an ability to rhyme and tell compelling tales at an elite level. After collaborating with Imagine Dragons, the unlikely combination turned in one of the high-octane performances of the night, and we can only imagine a collaboration with Robin Thicke will provide similar awe.
- Howard Stern 60th Birthday Bash: Jon Bon Jovi, Steven Tyler and John Fogerty Hammerstein Ballroom - Manhattan
- JBL Party / Maroon 5, Beacon Theater - Manhattan
- Citi and Live Nations Evenings With Legends: Black Keys
, Roseland Ballroom - Manhattan
With a highly anticipated new album
coming out this year, The Black Keys' performance will kick start a busy year for the duo. Maybe New York audiences will get a glimpse of new material?
- Pandora Presents Party: Imagine Dragons
, Bud Light Hotel, Pier 88 Manhattan
As mentioned earlier, Imagine Dragons performance with Kendrick Lamar at the Grammys proved many critics (us) wrong. The performance became a highlight of the entire ceremony. With Kendrick staying in the city, maybe the collaboration will happen again? We can dream.
- ASPIRE's Ultimate 70s Soul Party: The O Jays, Time Warner Cable Studios - Manhattan
- The 15th Annual NFL Super Bowl Gospel Celebration: Patti Labelle, Mary Mary, Natalie Grant, Tamela Mann and Donnie McClurkin, Madison Square Garden Manhattan
SATURDAY, February 1
- VH1 Super Bowl Blitz: Gavin Degraw, The Wellmont Theatre - Montclair, NJ
- Blondie: Super Bowl Boulevard Concert Stage at Broadway and 40th St. - New York
- Eighth Annual DirecTV Celebrity Beach Bowl: Paramore
, daytime event, Hudson River Park at Pier 40 - Manhattan
Paramore's live performances ranks among the best in contemporary alt-rock acts. With Hayley Williams' dynamic voice, the setlist features of barrage of ear candy delivered at the highest possible octane.
- Bud Light Main Event Concert: Foo Fighters
and Zac Brown Band, Bud Light Hotel at Pier 88 Manhattan
With Dave Grohl racking up Grammys and Foo Fighters rumored to be carrying a new album up their sleaves, expect a momentous performance from the legendary group.
- REVOLT Concert: Drake Featuring Special Guest Diddy, Time Warner Cable Studios - Manhattan (private party)
- WFAN's Big Hello To Brooklyn: Red Hot Chili
Peppers feat. New Politics, MS MR
, J. Roddy Walston and The Business, Basic Vacation, Barclays Center - Brooklyn
The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Brooklyn performance might preview Sunday's Halftime special. Will Bruno Mars make an appearance? Will the Chili Peppers preview their cover of "Dazed and Confused"?
- Maxim Party / Kendrick Lamar, Espace, 635 W 42nd St - Manhattan
- DirecTV Super Saturday Night / Jay Z
, Hudson River Park Pier 40 - Manhattan
Within the last year, Jay Z released a new album and became one of the prominent authorities in the sports industry. After performing with Beyonce at the Grammys, anything seems possibly for Jay Z to accomplish in 2014.
With such an enormous number of top-level music stars staying within the area, we're crossing our fingers for a few unannounced guests to appear during Super Bowl's half-time performance.