And now, a moment to give thanks to those music videos we've loved the most this summer...so far. For isn't it nice not to have to tear a song apart line by line to discover the underlining meaning to a convoluted track? Isn't it nice when a vivid depiction of a video makes the lyrical story of the song come alive? Isn't it nice to lounge back with a bowl of popcorn at hand and enjoy a show?
With the rise of plenty of refreshing and dexterous bands this summer, we've been guaranteed a lengthy story book of albums. With that have come the videos, of course. So for this summer bands like Grizzly Bear, Aeroplane Pageant, Elvis Perkins, Jaguar Love, Broken Records, Cursive (we could go on and on) have provided quite the batch of "movie theater" for our viewing pleasures.
And of course we can't help curb the inner critique inside. So step aside Roger Ebert. Here are our favorite five videos of the summer so far. Let the projector roll. - Lonnie Nemiroff
5. Girls - Hellhole Ratrace What better way to commence our countdown than with a favorite summer time activity? Partying... Girl's video for Hellhole Ratrace takes all the wild antics that occur over the course of an entire summer, and compiles them into one frolicking night. Throw in some cigarettes, bottles of champagne, pockets for shoplifting, cash for late night dining, and mix it all together. Sprinkle it with some fun pills and there you have it: a twenty-four hour night of mischief.
4. Major Lazer: Zumbie We introduced this video to you back in the early days of June, and yet somehow the images of Andy Milonakis remain pertinent in our minds. Zumbie is hands down the most repulsively entertaining video of the summer, largely due to the revolting appearance of Milonakis throughout the video. The bloody Milonakis, shouting one vulgar slur after the next and shoving raw meat into his face should make us cringe and immediately cut off all power. But there is something very addicting (and dare we say cute?) about watching this 5 foot 5 pudgy man.
3. Cursive: I Couldn't Love You Although following a typical trend, Cursive's video for I Couldn't Love You takes the saga to the next level, and we cautiously admit to enjoying it. I suppose watching a groom kill his bride is none too pleasurable. But the suspenseful built up in the video is without a doubt exhilarating.
2. Grizzly Bear: Two Weeks Grizzly Bear's video for Two Weeks is an ideal, moral mix: a dab of religion and a bit of quirky fun. The four members of Grizzly Bear might be sitting in church the whole time, but their spontaneous blinking, exaggerated blushing and shimmering teeth put this video just shy of number one. Two Weeks encompasses this acclaimed spot, simply because we haven't stopped grinning since we've first seen it.
1. Broken Records: Until The Earth Begins To Part It might not be the best song on this countdown, but Broken Record's video for Until The Earth Begins To Part, has won by a landslide on our music video countdown. This victory can be credited to the video's ability to make us evoke emotion for lifeless puppets, who resemble the characters in Tim Burton's, Nightmare Before Christmas. The cotton-filled figures aren't even close to being considered adorable, but the ability of the video to depict two expressionless puppets as soul mates is the kind of artistic talent we embrace the most.
Hot Baeble Videos
Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ
X Ambassadors live at Empire Garage
Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House
Bears Den live at Baeble HQ
Alexisonfire live at Hordern Pavilion
Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City
Morning Parade live at The Launch Pad
Obama Girl's Heartland Christmas live at Obama Girl's Christmas Cabin