11 Best Moments of The MTV VMAs 2017
    • MONDAY, AUGUST 28, 2017

• Posted by: Kirsten Spruch

Last night, the MTV VMAs took place, and although it may have lacked um, actual awards, they definitely did not skimp on entertaining performances from pop's hottest artists. New artists like Julia Michaels and Khalid made their award show debut while industry veterans like Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry made epic returns (pretty sure I died when Miley came out rocking the cutest cowgirl outfit of all time. Where can I find me a hot pink jumper?). Although all of the performances turned out to be pretty solid, here were some of our favorites, plus some just awesome moments.

1. Lorde's silent performance.

Lorde performed "Homemade Dynamite," except she wasn't singing at all and instead, just dancing to the original track. Rumor has it that it was because she has the flu, so if that's the case, go Lorde for following through with the performance at all. Sure, the dance moves she's pulling seem improvised - quite possibly a little too improvised at times - but that's partially why I love it. Everyone is constantly trying to outdo each other with tons of overproduction and fancy outfits, but Lorde gave us something a little more real. Also, pretty sure she dances with more energy while she has the flu than I do after getting 8 hours of sleep and eating a good breakfast.

2. Miley Cyrus' epic comeback.

Miley Cyrus NAILED IT with her performance of the title track off of her forthcoming album Younger Now. The outfit, the happiest Billy Ray Cyrus you've ever seen (at the 3:49 mark), and the killer vocals. Miley looks so healthy and happy, and the positive vibes were indeed, felt. She has certainly come a long way since she last performed at the VMAs.

3. Fifth Harmony's hotness.

Okay, first off all, Fifth Harmony's "Angel" is the best song ever, and they performed that. Second of all, "Down" is also a fabulous song, which they performed as well. Plus, Gucci Mane. That is all.

4. Ed Sheeran and Lil Uzi's collab.

An unexpected collab, but an enjoyable one. Before being crowned Artist of the Year, Ed Sheeran blew away his fans with a performance of his wildly successful hit "Shape of You" (seriously, I can't walk down a single street without hearing this song being blasted out of someone's car). His "I'm super chill" vibe makes us wish we were as cool as him.

5. Cardi B's killer pre-show performance.

Cardi B performed "Bodak Yellow" and may have also had a minor nip slip during a different part of the night… but let's just focus on her killer performance. Slay.

6. P!nk's acceptance speech.

*My personal favorite moment*. During P!nk's acceptance speech for the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award, she spoke about her six year old daughter, who was in the audience watching, and how her daughter called herself "the ugliest girl." P!nk then proceeded to talk about the success of all of the androgynous artists in the world. Then she said, "They say that I look like a boy, or I am too masculine, too many opinions, my body is too strong... Do you see me cutting my hair?" No. "Do you see me selling out stadiums?" Yes. "So, baby, girl," she concluded, "we don't change. We take the gravel and the shell and we make a pearl." Can anyone be more perfect than P!nk? I think not. She also performed a medley of her songs, once again proving just how damn talented she is.

7. All of Kendrick Lamar's wins and his "DNA" and "HUMBLE" medley.

If we're being honest here, I'm surprised he didn't snatch up Artist of the Year. However, he did lock down pretty much everything else, like Video of the Year, Best Hip Hop Video, Best Direction, Best Art Direction, and Best Visual Effects. Guess you can't have it all.

8. BOTH of Alessia Cara's appearances, which proved that you should love yourself.

Alessia Cara started out her solo performance of "Scars To Your Beautiful" in a red gown and ended it in a black tank top and jeans: showing that this is who she is, and she doesn't need fancy jewels to make herself feel good.

Then she appeared in Logic's heart wrenching performance of "1-800-273-8255," which urged people with suicidal thoughts that they are not alone, and should never lose hope.

With these two performances combined, Alessia shows that she has nothing but good intentions and truly cares about her fans. This is what authenticity looks like.

9. The premiere of Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" video.

Saying T Swift's new video was highly anticipated would be an understatement, so when it finally premiered during the VMAs, I was excited. The first time I watched it, I thought, "Wow, that's a lot of stuff in not a lot of time," but after my fourth go, I started to see all of the references that were more hidden than the obvious ones, like the old Taylors and the snakes. We happened to go through all of those references more in depth, which you can read about here.

10. Katy Perry's entrance.

Well, I didn't necessarily love Perry's performance of "Swish Swish" with Nicki Minaj, but I feel like she should be included here in some way because she was the host, after all. Her hosting wasn't very memorable though - in fact, it felt kind of silent. And man, that moment of mutual confusion when she talks about being away in space was so intense, the cringe-worthy awkwardness in the air was tangible.

Also, why is Jack Antonoff eating a banana?

11. Jared Leto's outfit.

jared leto vmas mtv

I MEAN COME ON.

Also, his tribute to Chester Bennington was pretty touching:

Hot Baeble Videos
    The Aces live at Baeble HQ

The Aces live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Irontom live at Industry City

Irontom live at Industry City

Emily Warren live at Baeble HQ

Emily Warren live at Baeble HQ

Overcoats live at Industry City

Overcoats live at Industry City

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Computer Games  live at Baeble HQ

Computer Games live at Baeble HQ

Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.