5 Music Videos That Will Make You Miss the '90s
  • TUESDAY, AUGUST 21, 2012

• Posted by: Amanda Scherker

If 40 is the new 30, then the '90s are the new '80s. Or something. No matter how you crunch the numbers, '90s nostalgia is seemingly at an all time high. At this rate, it may soon be time to resume your Beanie Baby collection. Nowhere is '90s glorious decadence, tackiness, and infantile attempts at using green screens better on display than in music videos. (Back when pop stars, rather than teen moms, were the main protagonists of MTV.)

1. Shakira, "Whenever, Wherever"

Maybe I'm jut being sentimental, as Shakira's Laundry Service was the very first CD I ever owned, but this is just the most ambitious work of non-irony I've ever seen. Suddenly, every music video that doesn't feature a slow motion herd of wild horses seems so... banal.

2. Right Said Fred, "I'm Too Sexy"

If there was any justice in the world, Right Side Fred would have a reality show by now.

3. Weezer, "Buddy Holly"

Spike Jonez paired up with our favorite original moody but cute alt-rockers to make this coy and referential piece. Are we having ironic nostalgia for a music video based on ironic nostalgia? Is there a name for that?

4. Nada Surf, "Popular"

This overture to cheerleaders and jocks is so perfect, and perfectly canned. Nada Surf could teach T-Swift a thing or two, ya know?

5. *NYSNC, "Pop"

Kind of a 90s "Where's Waldo?" Like, do you spot the sparkly star-shaped glasses? How many cropped tops can you count?

Five fun times from the glorious days of Texas Tuxedos and Tamagachis, prosperity and, of course, POP!

Comments

Hot Baeble Videos
Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Tragedy

Tragedy

The Rose With The Broken Neck - Live

The Rose With The Broken Neck - Live

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Knox Hamilton live at Baeble HQ

Knox Hamilton live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

Johnnyswim live at Baeble HQ

Johnnyswim live at Baeble HQ

Bad And Boujee ft Lil Uzi Vert

Bad And Boujee ft Lil Uzi Vert

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

HONNE live at EAR Studio Austin

HONNE live at EAR Studio Austin

© 2016 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.