10 Astral Records That Should Be Played in Outer Space
  • WEDNESDAY, JULY 27, 2016

• Posted by: Susmita Paruchuri

It's confirmed -- on July 30, in celebration of Third Man Records' seventh anniversary, Jack White is planning an event to play the first phonographic record in space.

Third Man Records has teamed up with non-profit organization SATINS (Students and Teachers in Near Space) to help with their endeavor. The vinyl they've chosen? It's a gold-plated 12" master of Carl Sagan's Cosmos speech A Glorious Dawn, which is a great choice and all, but is it the best? Here are 10 other records we think deserve to be sent to space too.

1. "Supermassive Black Hole" - Muse

The entire album is called Black Holes and Revelations, so maybe just bring the whole thing. Also, I feel like this song's cinematic song would be really cool up in space in theory.

2. "Spaceship" - Kanye West

"I wish I could buy me a spaceship and fly past the sky" -- I can't keep track of whether Kanye is rolling in money or in debt, but if we just shoot this record into space, that's like the same thing, right?

3. "Looking for Astronauts" - The National

I like the idea of this poor record playing in space, just looking for an astronaut friend to accompany it. At least, that's what goes on in my head

4. "Space Travel is Boring" - Modest Mouse

Personally, I just like the irony of this older Modest Mouse record floating around in space.

5. "E.T. (Extraterrestrial)" - OutKast

Obviously this list wouldn't be complete without anything from ATLiens. The Katy Perry song with the same title will also be acceptable.

6. "We Care" - MGMT

"We are alone, the world is not our home" just seems like lyrics that would be really appropriate in space. The song is definitely about some kind of journey through outer space, so it works well enough.

7. "Space Bound" - Eminem

This song's lyrics work but it also just scares me, so what I'm hoping is that we can shoot it into outer space and not have to hear it again.

8. "A Space Boy Dream" - Belle and Sebastian

I love how weird this song is -- the music sounds like it could be on an old detective show and over it bassist Stuart David basically just describes a dream he had about going to Mars. Perfect for space travel, I think.

9. "Black Star" - Radiohead

Radiohead has definitely put out a lot of music with space and sci-fi themes, but somehow I think that this song specifically would be the coolest to hear in space.

10. "Space Oddity" - David Bowie

You think we were going to make a list about space-themed songs and not include this one? There are so many space-related Bowie songs to choose from, but this one was actually the first song ever recorded in space by Commander Chris Hadfield in 2013! So maybe it's due for a second mission.
Hot Baeble Videos
Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

AJR  live at Baeble HQ

AJR live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

Live It Up

Live It Up

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.