9 Songs For When You're So (Mostly) Over Your Ex
    • MONDAY, JULY 24, 2017

• Posted by: Caroline Bojarski

Breakups suck. Especially in the early phases when you feel sad and lonely and don't really see the point of changing out of your flannel pajamas. Although you will definitely spend time in the wake of a breakup crying, listening to Lana Del Rey, and considering multiple cats, there will eventually come a time when you stop shuffling aimlessly and begin to walk confidently again, possibly flipping your hair as you go. Your happy independent self is feeling free and gorgeous and thoughts of your ex are non-existent. Well… aside from a healthy dash of bitterness or some well-deserved self-congratulations on how much better off you are without them. Here is a list of songs by artists who, like you, have totally moved on but still want to get one last word in because, let's face it, there's no such thing as ‘over it'.

1. "Thinking of You" by Kesha

Kesha's recent return to the top of the pop scene had me digging into the vault of her previous party bangers. "Thinking of You" is Kesha not giving a single fuck about her ex… but also hoping he hears one of her smash hits on the radio and feels like he can't escape from her. The title is, of course, sarcastic, and Kesha rides off into the sunset in her gold Trans Am. Take that.

Most over it lyric: "Can I hit you later?/ Gotta get to stage/ In a brand new city/ Gettin' laid."

2. "If U C My Enemies" by Rubblebucket

Ok, maybe sometimes you can be so completely healed and recovered that you are truly no longer bitter. Rubblebucket's Kalmia Traver seems to have nothing but goodwill towards her enemies in this pump up jam complete with a kick ass beat and a chorus you can scream at the top of your lungs. But even though she says she wants to be friends again, she could clearly still care less. Otherwise she'd talk to her enemies herself. "If U C My Enemies" is the perfect balance of ‘no hard feelings' and ‘whatever dude'.

Most over it lyric: "If you see my enemies, tell ‘em that I wanna be friends again."

3. "Mean" by Taylor Swift

Taylor is required listening for all things breakup related. "Mean" is her best moving on song because, whether you're a fan or one of her fabled haters, you can't deny that everything she says in the song is completely true. Plus, sometimes, in spite of all the expressive four-letter words out there, the most accurate one for that certain someone is just plain old "mean".

Most over it lyric: "And I can see you years from now in a bar/ Talkin' over a football game/ With that same big loud opinion but/ Nobody's listening/ Washed up and bitter about the same old things/ Drunk and grumbling on about how I can't sing… But all you are is mean."

4. "You Don't Get Me High Anymore" by Phantogram

Phantogram sounds so angry in this song and I love it. Her drug tolerance metaphor is probably intended to describe fading attraction in an existing relationship, but you can totally reinterpret the lyrics to reference an ex who doesn't even piss you off anymore. Because you're that good at moving on.

Most over it lyric: "Used to take one/ Now it takes four/ You don't get me high anymore."

5. "Flannel" by The Cardboard Swords

I know what you're thinking: "What is this whiny emo song doing on a ‘moving on' playlist? This is definitely a ‘still moping' song!" Don't worry, I'm not trying to make you relapse. The end of "Flannel" is an extremely personal spoken word verse that narrates the progression from changing your driving route to avoid unpleasant memories to getting back to doing the things that you love… like late night drink specials and pizza.

Most over it lyric: "This is what I've found: Life may or may not be about finding true love, but it's certainly not about begging for it from someone. So I'll keep doing the things that I do… and I'll find someone who wants me like I wanted you."

6. "Smile" by Lily Allen

The nonchalant flavor of this song contrasted with its lyrically ruthless chorus shows that you can be moved on and still maintain just a dash of the ‘crazy ex' mentality. I mean what's the point of having an ex if you can't enjoy their sadness?

Most over it lyric: "At first, when I see you cry/ It makes me smile/ Yeah it makes me smile."

7. "Molotov Girls" by The Zolas

"Molotov Girls" is an energetic ode to being happily single. This song is actually another piece of evidence that it is possible to someday achieve a complete lack of bitterness, but even if you're nowhere close to that level of recovery, treat yourself to the kind of night out that The Zolas are describing in this ~explosive~ tune.

Most over it lyric: "Gonna do what I want and that's what's up/ Ain't lookin' for a man to hold me up."

8. "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye feat. Kimbra

Six years ago, Gotye blew up the radio with "Somebody That I Used To Know", the ultimate song for the ‘over it' phase of post-breakup life. Gotye is no longer sad and kinda relieved to be done with the relationship. He doesn't even honor the subject of this song by referring to her as an ex -- a term that carries a certain amount of heartbroken street cred. There is absolutely no looking back here, and "used to know" puts the relationship firmly in the past. Done. End of story. Until the chorus when Gotye complains that his "somebody" didn't have to be quite so much of a jerk about the whole thing…

Most over it (?) lyric: "No you didn't have to stoop so low/ Have your friends collect your records and then change your number/ Guess that I don't need that though/ Now you're just somebody that I used to know"

9. "No Children" by The Mountain Goats

Who are we kidding? Nobody is over their ex. Let's just accept that and listen to the angriest, bitterest, most depressing song in existence. The only consolation to be had is that The Mountain Goats are definitely in worse shape on this song than well… anyone.

Least over it lyric in existence: "I am drowning/ There is no sign of land/ You are coming down with me/ Hand in un-loveable hand/ And I hope you die/ I hope we both die."

Hot Baeble Videos
    Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

Tom Walker live at Baeble HQ

Overcoats live at Industry City

Overcoats live at Industry City

XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Computer Games  live at Baeble HQ

Computer Games live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Emily Warren live at Baeble HQ

Emily Warren live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Irontom live at Industry City

Irontom live at Industry City

The Aces live at Baeble HQ

The Aces live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.