8 Graves Lets Us Know What's Going On
  • THURSDAY, JULY 23, 2015

• Posted by: Niko Demetriou

Please artists, put out more track commentaries. I'm all for everyone developing their own interpretation of a record and processing it for themselves, but getting to know what the artist truly means with their choice of words provides a substantially better connection to the musician, and is also a little bit of fun. Almost like I'm playing the role of a psychonaut, it's interesting to hear the truth after trying to decipher it out for myself. This holds especially true when the track has such a clear purpose behind it, as is the case with 8 Graves' new single "Lie."

The single, which we are premiering on Baeble today, is off the NYC based group's debut Mixtape, and comes with a video commentary to clear up any confusions. The track lives on a melancholic electronic beat that provides the perfect platform for some sincere lyricism; ambient and swelling, it moves in and out with the emotions of the track. Love lost, frustration with the building up and breaking down of relationships, and a bit of self loathing are all touched upon and fit right at home over the smooth beat. It's clearly written from a sense of purposelessness but the song itself is just the opposite.

I could tell you what I think is going on here and what I get from the track, or you can listen to the man himself. Mixtape is set to release August 14, but in the meantime check out "Lie" and its accompanying commentary.

Comments

Hot Baeble Videos
Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

X Ambassadors live at Empire Garage

X Ambassadors live at Empire Garage

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

Alexisonfire live at Hordern Pavilion

Alexisonfire live at Hordern Pavilion

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Morning Parade live at The Launch Pad

Morning Parade live at The Launch Pad

Obama Girl's Heartland Christmas live at Obama Girl's Christmas Cabin

Obama Girl's Heartland Christmas live at Obama Girl's Christmas Cabin

Fallulah live at The Launch Pad at Spike Hill

Fallulah live at The Launch Pad at Spike Hill

Childish Gambino live at Rockwood Music Hall

Childish Gambino live at Rockwood Music Hall

© 2016 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.