6 Songs You Can't Stand, But Can't Escape From
    • MONDAY, JUNE 26, 2017

• Posted by: Jake Holzman

Are there any songs you hear so often that you wonder how anyone can stand listening to them a million times on repeat?

Whether these songs are old classics or new hits, they seem to follow us around wherever we go. You often can't go grocery shopping without hearing them blasted from the overhead speakers (the same goes for coffee shops). This is all the more frustrating, because something about these songs just doesn't sit well with you. It's not that they're necessarily bad (though some of them are), but whenever you hear them you suddenly become really cynical, and want to say, "enough, already!" Maybe it's because they're so overplayed, you're not entirely sure. All you know is that, if you never heard any of these songs ever again, you'd be totally fine with it.

We all have these pet peeve songs, and I think it's interesting (as well as a gigantic relief) to find other people who are as annoyed by them as you are. With that in mind, here are a few songs that I, personally, can't seem to escape from no matter how much I don't want to listen to them.

1. Ed Sheeran - "Shape of You"

Sometimes when I listen to Ed Sheeran songs, I just get the impression that he is restricted by the confines of his loop pedal. What I mean by that is, because he performs with one so often, he has to keep writing songs with melodies and chord progressions that are simple and repetitive enough to be played entirely with loops. Such is the case with "Shape of You." And, because I think it's so boring and repetitive, it doesn't help that I hear it everywhere I go.

...also, I think the lyrics are kind of gross, to be honest.

2. Robin Thicke - "Blurred Lines"

This song's popularity should have died out wayyyy faster than it did. About a year ago, I was still thinking to myself, "how the hell are people still playing this song?"

Did everyone just not hear Robin Thicke whispering "I know you want it" in their ears? Or were they just okay with it? Or maybe the (*cough* plagiarized from Marvin Gaye *cough*) melody was apparently so catchy that people could ignore the general creepiness of the song, as well as the video?

Whenever this song comes on, I only feel gross and confused.

3. Justin Bieber - "Sorry"

Honestly, I don't really have a huge problem with this song. It's just that I've heard it a million times at this point (but who can't relate to that?). For a year now, I've been (unwillingly) listening to Justin Bieber's "Sorry" in a myriad of different locations, whether in clubs in London, coffee shops in Brooklyn, or even the food hall of the building I work in. It's like a weird stalker, at this point, that's followed me everywhere I've gone in the past year, while simultaneously begging me to forgive it for something I was never mad at it for in the first place. I almost want to turn around and say, "no, it's not too late to say sorry! I forgive you! Now leave me alone!"

4. Chainsmokers & Coldplay - "Something Just Like This"

Honestly, I just think this song is kind of annoying. I'm not a big fan of Chris Martin's sappy lyrics, or his singing, or the melody, or… well, any of it, to be honest. I just think it's so unimaginative, cheesy, and overproduced.

5. Taylor Swift - "Bad Blood"

Not trying to throw hate at Taylor, but for the past couple of years, whenever this song came on in a Starbucks, I'd get really distracted by it. The lyrics demand my attention every single time I hear it, but not because I like them. This is one of those songs that leaves me convinced it was written on the spot in the studio.

"Oh it's so sad to/ think about the good times/ you and I."

...Uh, okay. Kendrick Lamar's part is pretty great, though.

6. Green Day - Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)

...aaand, then there's "Time of Your Life." I still hear guys playing this song a lot in guitar stores (along with "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz and "Better Together" by Jack Johnson. Those three songs seem to be the guitar store trinity, for some reason).

I was a big Green Day fan growing up, so naturally I used to love this song. I even remember asking my guitar teacher to show me how to play it when I was eleven. He did of course, but I'll never forget how audibly he groaned beforehand. And I was like, "what's wrong? Why wouldn't you want to teach me one of the greatest acoustic guitar ballads of all time, AKA ‘Good Riddance (Time of Your Life) by Green Day?'" Flash forward another eleven years, and I've now heard it played in the background of enough corny graduation videos and Bar Mitzvah party slideshows to realize why my guitar teacher groaned: it's cheesy as hell, and he probably had to teach this song to a thousand other eleven year-olds before me.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    The Suffers live at Industry City

The Suffers live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.