11 Songs That Make Us Glad The 'Old Miley' Is Back
  • THURSDAY, JUNE 15, 2017

• Posted by: Kelly Kenlon

Miley Cyrus has been getting a lot of attention recently with her all-white outfits and new songs that sound like her old songs ("Malibu" rocks). People are saying that she's returning to the "old Miley" (which, the term is becoming a meme at this point) but we just look at her as "present Miley." However, all this talk about the old her makes us want to flashback to the real old Miley, you know, her pre-Bangerz, Disney Channel glory days. Love her or hate her, Miley's had some pretty sweet hits. From classic Hannah Montana jams to covers for her "Backyard Sessions" the fact that Miley is "back" is very exciting.

1. "When I Look at You"

The steady piano chords in the start of this song is classic old school Miley, aka Miley back in 2011 when she was in the midst of filming The Last Song. One of the best things about this song is the fact that there is another piano version of it in the movie. Maybe she was listening to this hit when she thought of her song "Inspired" because the first line is "everybody needs inspiration, everybody needs a song."

2. "The Climb"

It doesn't matter how fast you get there, it doesn't matter if you're sprinting, walking or crawling, what really matters is: the climb. Back in 2009, Miley told us the great story that is "the journey is the destination" through this absolute jam. Once again, that classic Miley staple of soft piano keys at the very start get us ready for her voice and her message to keep trying and to keep our heads held high. Definitely recommend for a bad day or a sad mood. Don't pretend like you didn't belt this one out at some point in your life.

3. "Need a Little Love"

I bet if Miley played this on the today show tomorrow morning, people would not notice that it's actually from a Christmas episode of Hannah Montana. No matter where it comes from the country vibe and the fact that Sheryl Crow is in it makes it a total hit. A lot of her early songs are really just pop but this one brings in that country tune with the guitar melody in the background and the collaboration with Sheryl Crow.

4. "I Hope You Find It"

This song would go in the category of something like "The Climb" or "When I Look At You." It's got that solid piano to hold the song up and Miley's strong voice to tell us some sort of message. Is Liam Hemsworth the source of all Miley's creative juices? (That sounds gross.)

5."Been Here All Along"

Literally straight from an episode of Hannah Montana. However that doesn't make it any less amazing. If I recall this song was supposed to be about one of the character's dads and how much Miley/Hannah Montana was trying to appreciate them. With this one we're more concerned with Miley's voice and the fact that this is the "old Miley" that everyone keeps saying she is going back to. Instead of heavy hip hop beats Miley is falling back into songs like this one, with more emphasis on her vocals and lyrics.

6. "One in A Million"

"They say that good things take time, but really great things happen in the blink of an eye." Hands down one of the best lyrics Miley could have brought to us in her early career - no joke. Not many people know of this great line because this song is definitely a more underrated Hannah/Miley jam. Yet, this song has that classic early Miley build up that starts slow and then comes with a big chorus of Miley lyrics and heavier drums.

7. "Lilac Wine"

Miley's "bun" phase was arguably my favorite point in her musical career. I won't lie this song used to make me shed a tear every time I heard it, because her cover is just so beautiful. Miley sang this as a part of a project called the "Backyard Sessions" back in 2012 with her band. She did this cover and two other songs that showcased her country/folk side a little bit better than Hannah Montana could.

8. "Look What They've Done to My Song"

Another great backyard sessions cover. She did this Melanie Safka cover back in 2012 and then again in 2015 with her foundation the Happy Hippie foundation. With her cover of this song not only did she re-create it with her own spin, but she was able to bring the happy, mellow tune of folk and country music. I almost wish that this was an original Miley song because it works so well with her style and voice. When she did the second cover of it for the Happy Hippie foundation in 2015, it was a collaboration with the original singer - Melanie Safka.

9. "Party in the U.S.A"

Alright so maybe this isn't really part of the "country" vibes that Miley is going back to. But she never really started out as a country singer anyway, she just happens to be from Nashville. She always kind of fell into the genre of country pop. But that doesn't mean "Party in the U.S.A" wasn't and won't always be a straight banger. What would fourth of July's be without this blasting through your car speakers at some point in the day? It truly wouldn't be the same.

10. "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go"

We have to include this Bob Dylan Cover that Miley did such a great job with back in 2012. The easy going guitar melody in the back of this song is the perfect combination to go with her soulful voice. Hopefully we'll see more songs like this in the near future.

11. "7 Things"

This was one of the first singles Miley came back with on her 2008 Breakout and it made a pretty serious mark on her fans. Finally, she was on her own, and she was heartbroken. Who was it about? Nick Jonas? Maybe. We don't know. But the song was great.

Honorable Mentions:

If you're ever bored and want more old school Miley, listen to these jams!

"Wherever I Go"

"Dream"

"Butterfly Fly Away"

Hot Baeble Videos
Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.