This week's mixtape is stuffed to the brim with new music to discover, from face-vibrating vocalists to new singles from old favorites, songs suited for stadium rafters and songs suited for your next Bushwick dinner party. Thank God It's Mixtape, making your Friday at least 75% more enjoyable since 2009. And yes, we realize it's not actualy a "mixtape" per se, but wouldn't you rather call a nifty collection of songs that don't necissarily belong together arranged in a specific order just for you a mixtape rather than a "playlist"? So technical!
New! Listen to (most of) the mixtape on Spotify!
1. "Hard To Be Close" - Here We Go Magic - A Diffrent Ship
The first track on HWGM's latest LP makes a lot of promises that the band doesn't quite fulfill on the rest of the LP-- but it's still an awesome combo of Luke Temple and Nigel Godrich that gets you antsy and relaxed all at once.
2. "Take A Walk" - Passion Pit - Gossamer
The first Passion Pit single in a good while finds the band swinging for the pop-fence rather than doodling with the underground club bleepy-bloop hooks that made them famous.
3. "Under The Gun" - Electric Guest - Mondo
Funk the critics who panned this tasty piece of drum-n-bass grooviness. We dare you to sit still.
4. "Five Seconds" - Twin Shadow - Confess
Total Ryan Gosling-grappling with unnamed mafia foes in the elevator music, coasting down the freeway with shades on at night.
5. "Edward The Confessor" - Breton - Other People's Problems
This filmmaker/musican troupe (we recently profiled
) makes seriously cinematic tunes.
6. "Brains" - Lower Dens - Nootropics
Sounds like the soundtrack to a bunch of really hip kids trying to rob an Urban Outfitters or a bank or something. Something bad, but really cool looking.
7. "Silenced By The Night" - Keane - Strangeland
Keane is already tried and true at stadium-status bangers. Here, they shoot for the rafters again with piano-driven bombast.
8. "Roxanne (The Voice Performance)" - Juliet Simms - Roxanne (The Voice Performance)
We're bummed our favorite Guest Apartment attendee to hit prime-time
didn't win the finale, but we're glad her stint on The Voice
reenergized her career. Here is one of her best moments on the show.
9. "I Don't Like (Remix ft. Pusha T, Chief Keef, Big Sean, Jadakiss)" - Kanye West -
What a transition that was, huh?
10. "My Surfing Lucifer" - Crocodiles - Endless Flowers
We close out the week with the washy-pop of Crocodiles, confusing your stereo into thinking something might be broken with an assault of static-y goodness attached to every hook.