This week we've got a tape put together by our buddies The Lonely Forest
. Their album Arrows
is out now for all those wispy Washington rock fans out there. And if you like Cobain, Grohl, and other 90s rock Gods, you're gonna drool over this playlist. Get to it.
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "Jellybelly" - The Smashing Pumpkins- Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
This song hits home every time I hear it. It's got a great rock catch, and some of Jimmy Chamberlin's fastest, most ecstatic drumming he's ever recorded. I have listened to the four measure drum fill so many times, if it were on cassette I would have worn it out.
2. "Learning To Fly" - Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers - Into The Great Wide Open
I have listened to it hundreds of times. I love it. It's simply a beautiful song. The bass line and drums are so solid, The guitars lay perfectly on top. The melody flows. The sound is very pleasing to my ears... I feel comfort knowing this song exists... That too much?
3. "Everlong" - Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
My first ever "Jam" on drums with a dear friend of mine that played guitar. We played it over and over. No bass, no vocals, just drums and guitar. I still play that song to this day.
4. "Dear Prudence" - The Beatles - The White Album
A fantastic song. I love it as much now as I did when I heard it for the first time in fourth or fifth grade. My dad showed me the White Album
in an effort to inspire me in becoming a better pianist. It simply left me more interested in the guitar...
5. "New Way Home" - Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Although very deep in the album (The Colour and the Shape
), the Seattle reference in this song is very personal to me.
6. "No Language In Our Lungs" - XTC - Black Sea
Once again, Andy Partridge manages to write a bridge that is better than the rest of the song. I absolutely love Black Sea
and this is my favorite track from the record...the "George Harrison" guitar tone is perfect!
7. "Our Trip" - The Thermals - F*ckin' A
The best "f*ck the authority" song I've ever heard.
8. "Helplessness Blues" - Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues
I finally "get" the Fleet Foxes! This song is a wonderful breath of fresh air both lyrically and musically.
9. "Sorrow" - The National - High Violet
I have listened to this song every day since its release last spring. I think it's perfect. Beautifully arranged parts and some of my favorite lyrics of all time.
10. "One" - Sunny Day Real Estate - The Rising Tide
I love the melodies, the watery tones, and the dream like feeling of the song as a whole. A true standby for me.
11. "Milk It" - Nirvana - In Utero
Coolest drum sound ever, period.