3 Wild Speculations About Lorde's Cryptic TV Ad
  • MONDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2017

• Posted by: Robert Steiner

The Internet is currently abuzz with anticipation following the premier of a mysterious new ad featuring Lorde, which aired on New Zealand TV today. The 15-second ad, featuring the Grammy-winning artist in the backseat of a car eating food, raises more questions than answers, which can only mean one thing: Wild and unnecessary speculation!!! (*please clap*) If there's one thing more fun than wondering what cryptic, artsy crap means, it's overthinking what cryptic, artsy crap means, so without further ado, here are three takeaways I personally came up with after watching the clip 30 times in a row:

1. THE MUSIC

Lorde is obviously a music person, so the music seems like a good and natural place to start. It sounds like there is an upbeat, piano riff coming from the car radio, which could easily be the intro to a fast paced, dance-type track. This could very well be a sneak preview into the single she's probably dropping this Thursday (Friday in New Zealand), if that's what the dates at the end of the video mean, at least. If this piano ditty is in fact Lorde's new single, this might mean a slight departure in sound for the young artist. 2013's breakout debut Pure Heroine was all about a dark, bass-heavy, minimalistic sound that was as tense as it was catchy. This piano riff sounds like the beginning to a more cheerful, up-tempo song; I mean that 10-second preview alone probably contained more notes than the entirety of "Royals." While this could also be a tour announcement, new music seems like the more likely culprit, especially considering she's already got a Saturday Night Live performance lined up for the near future. Only time will tell if this piano riff is the new song or a sly bait-and-switch.

2. THE SETTING

This voyeuristic premise of watching Lorde and I assume her driver chilling and eating doesn't seem like it means much of anything, and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. God knows I might be wrong about literally everything on this list. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the beginning or a tie-in to a music video for the possible new single, which she might release on the same day. We live in a post Lemonade world, people; visual accompaniment to music hasn't been this popular since MTV was relevant and Canadian tuxedoes were considered a good idea. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the first in a series of music videos that have some degree of continuity to them, since that seems to be a popular trend in entertainment right now.

3. THE WEBSITE

This one's for the extra-overthinkers out there, but some eagle-eyed fans may have noticed that Lorde tweeted a URL that takes you straight to the ad, which opens up a whole batch of things to examine. First off, the URL is imwaitingforit.com, but if you look at the website's header (aka the name that appears in the tab), the website seems to be called "M*******A." The URL might just be a reference to us literally waiting for the announcement, while the starred-out word might be the title for the upcoming song. It doesn't strike me to be any discernible curse word (I already tried "MOTHAFUCKA," but it's one letter short), so unless it's a diversion or something done just for shits and giggles, we might have just found out the first and last letters of the song title. I know, not really all that helpful, but honestly, Lorde hasn't released a proper, non-Hunger Games related single in four frickin years. For now, I'll take what I can get until Thursday.
Hot Baeble Videos
Tigertown live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.