6 Best Moments of Obama Singing His Heart Out
  • MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2017

• Posted by: Mandi Dudek

It's safe to say - we miss Obama. I'm pretty sure the majority of our nation is missing that Barack Obama demeanor right about now. Obamas optimistic Yes, we can! attitude has crumbled into the chaos and dysfunction of a little orange man. But this post isn't for that guy. This is post is to recognize that even when holding the most important position in office, as the 44th President of the United States, Obama could throw in some lyrics from classic songs to make people laugh and charm the sh*t out of every type of person in the room. So here are the top six moments of Obama breaking out in a song.

6. "Walk On By" by Dionne Warwick

When Obama noticed Dionne Warwick was at a New Jersey democratic rally in 2009 (when Obama was still a US senator pre-election), he decided to throw in a few lines from one of her songs. Obama says he used to be a charmer at 15 and 16 with some Dionne Warwick. "If you wanted to show you were real smooth, you slip in the Dionne Warwick."

5. "Happy Birthday" by Obama

As traditional as this song may be, I couldn't leave it out. Just last year, Obama's oldest daughter, Malia, turned 18 on the 4th of July. It was during an Independence Day party at the White House and Obama shared the stage with Kendrick Lamar and Janelle Monae. His voice may be crackly (some say it was a cold but I say he was choking back tears, softy) but it's just too good.

4. "Chain Of Fools" by Aretha Franklin

On another campaign stop, this time in Detroit on September 1st, 2009, Obama notices Aretha Franklin in the audience. He thanks the "queen of soul" before singing out "chain, chain, chain / chain of fools" while smiling and bobbin' his head along followed by an "all right, I wasn't gonna do that.." He's the man.

3. "Let's Stay Together" by Al Green

In 2012, during a fundraiser at Harlem's Apollo Theater, Obama addressed Rev. Al Green (who was at the event) before belting out a short rendition of Al Greens classic hit, "Let's Stay Together." Right after charming the crowd with, "I... I'm so in love with you," Obama looks at Al Green and says, "Don't worry, Rev., I cannot sing like you, I just wanted to show my appreciation." No, Obama singing famous songs by musician attendees does NOT get old.

2. "Sweet Home Chicago" by Robert Johnson

As a part of the PBS In Performance at the White House series in 2012, Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama hosted a night of blues with an impressive list of performers. With a little nudge from the legendary B.B. King, Obama took the mic from Mick Jagger and sang some lines from "Sweet Home Chicago." No big deal.

1. "Amazing Grace" by John Newton

As the rest of the videos showed Obama's silly, charismatic and easy-going side, this video of Obama deserves the number one spot because it's intensely powerful. It was at the funeral for South Carolina State Sen. Clementa Pinckney, the pastor killed along with eight others in the Charleston church shooting. The most powerful part of the video is the 13-second pause after Obama repeats the words, "amazing grace." The crowd at that funeral had no clue what Obama would say next. Then he started to sing "Amazing Grace" by John Newton and you could see the emotion on everyone's face behind him. It was a touching moment to show how genuinely caring Obama is.

Even though Obama isn't our president anymore, we don't think there's anyone capable of winning our hearts the way Barack Obama did.

Hot Baeble Videos
Brother (Acoustic From Streets of Warsaw)

Brother (Acoustic From Streets of Warsaw)

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Robert Randolph and the Family Band  live at Baeble HQ

Robert Randolph and the Family Band live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Airborne

Airborne

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.