5 Songs That Shouldn't Have a Lyric Video
    • FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2017

• Posted by: Kirsten Spruch

Ask me how I feel about lyric videos and prepare to listen to a grumpy little girl rant for five hours. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN LYRIC VIDEOS. They were something that artists' fans made on Youtube for pure fun and then labels eventually caught on and were like, "woah, another way to prolong the release cycle!" So then labels started making their own, "official" lyric videos and yes, while they look much nicer and some get pretty creative, it's really just to drag out the release of music to the end of time. Instead of releasing a video and then being done with it, why not release a teaser, then the song, then a lyric video, then an official video, a behind-the-scenes video, an extra official video... And, well, you get it.

Some lyric videos are cool, like Justin Bieber's "Sorry" or The Chainsmokers and Rozes' "Roses," but I've watched a lot that made me think, "wow, the lyrics of this song really should not be brought to the forefront." Here are 5 songs that made me think just that.

1. Katy Perry - "Chained To The Rhythm"

Not going to lie, this is the lyric video that inspired this list. That really says a lot. The song sounds pretty catchy but then you dive into the lyrics and they make no sense - we're wearing rose-colored glasses and walking around like wasted zombies? And on top of that, the lyric video adds a whole new layer of irrelevancy: hamsters and tiny furniture. Okay.

2. Ed Sheeran - "Castle On The Hill"

The song's not bad, but these lyrics are so specific and sentimental, I'm cringing. I would've been okay with ignorantly skipping over the line where Sheeran sings about being 15 and smoking hand-rolled cigarettes. And what is the "sweet perfume of the mountain grass"?

3. Katy Perry - "Roar"

Oh yeah. Katy Perry is on this list twice.

4. Jacob Sartorius - "Last Text"

"You're always the last text I send before bed," is the main line in the chorus. This is like 2007 Disney infused with today's technology.

5. Green Day - "Troubled Times"

I'm including this one on the list because I can barely read the lyrics. Try using this for a karaoke sesh and you'd have some problems. What's the point of a lyric video, then?
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Tigertown live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

The Suffers live at Industry City

The Suffers live at Industry City

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Pain

Pain

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.