24 Best Songs of 2016
  • TUESDAY, DECEMBER 20, 2016

• Posted by: Baeble Staff

This year may have lacked in a lot of things, but it most certainly did not lack in good music. Some of our favorite albums of the decade came out, and with that comes our new favorite songs. Here are the 24 best tracks of the year.

24. "You and I" - Margaret Glaspy

"Tonight I'm a little too turned on to talk about us, and tomorrow I'll be too turned off and won't give a f*ck about you and I," Glaspy cooly sings in the opening line. Now, I know no one would care if this was being sung by Fetty Wap or Alex Turner, but the fact that so many women are embracing these new carefree tendencies that are usually only praised when being felt by men is groundbreaking. There are a handful of artists who've taken a similar route this year as well - Tove Lo with "Cool Girl" and Rihanna with "Needed Me," but the garage rock guitars and Glaspy's growl puts it over the edge. - Kirsten Spruch

23. "Alaska" - Maggie Rogers

Who could forget about the girl Pharrell "discovered" at NYU when she played her single "Alaska" on camera? She's unique; she's timid, yet, confident; Maggie Rogers is going to be the biggest artist to watch in 2017. "Alaska" has Rogers' innocent vocals spread across a palpable beat and it's just SO catchy. And fun fact: She wrote it in 15 minutes. - Mandi Dudek

22. "What's It Gonna Be" - Shura

Shura's "What's It Gonna Be" totally blew up on the internet, and it makes sense, because it's a pretty perfect pop song. Danceable, polished production mixed with relatable lyrics about having a crush on someone will always be the way to our hearts. - Kirsten Spruch

21. "Silly Me" - Yeasayer

A song where a man admits he was wrong - my favorite kind of song! Super unique instrumentation is the highlight of this song, but the infectious sing-along chorus is a close contender. When this first came out, we couldn't get it out of our heads for weeks. - Kirsten Spruch

20. "One Dance" - Drake

I'm pretty sure this is the most played song of 2016. I mean, I even heard it as someone's ringtone on the subway the other day. It was physically impossible to escape this song since its release early in the year. As much as everyone tried to escape this addicting hit - it always finds you. It has a little bit of a reggae flavor to it and spaced out piano chords with Drake's auto-tuned voice complaining about commitment but asking for one last dance. What's not to like? - Mandi Dudek

19. "Blood On Me" - Sampha

Anything that Sampha's voice touches turns to gold - Solange's "Don't Touch My Hair," SBTRKT's "Hold On," and now finally his own, "Blood On Me." His forthcoming debut album, Process, instantly turned into one of our most highly-anticipated records after hearing this song. There's a sense of urgency in his smooth yet panicked vocals. The percussion is frantic. "I swear they smell the blood on me, I hear them coming for me." It's an urgency that hits close to home, considering the events that took place this year. - Kirsten Spruch

18. "Radio Silence" - James Blake
"Radio Silence" was the opening track of his new surprise album The Colour In Anything and it's absolutely breathtaking. His voice; the drums; the hypnotizing sound. This has James Blake written all over it. It's an R&B influenced track with James Blake cooing "there's a radio silence going on." It's a true gem of a track and nobody does it like James Blake. - Mandi Dudek

17. "Your Best American Girl" - Mitski

"Your mother wouldn't approve of how my mother raised me but I do, I think I do," Mitski calmly sings over clashing drums and guitar as if we've suddenly transported back in time to the 90s. - Kirsten Spruch

16. "I Feel It Coming" - The Weeknd Ft. Daft Punk

There's something so euphoric and anthemic about this track. It's also so unpredictable - The Weeknd being open and warm, reassuring a woman that he is actually capable of intimate and emotional love? We never saw that one coming. The groovy bass line, claps, and robotic voices produced by Daft Punk is a feel-good combo that sheds some positivity on the end of a particularly negative near. - Kirsten Spruch

15. "Ultralight Beam" - Kanye West featuring Chance The Rapper

"Ultralight Beam" is a plea and a confession in a form of rich, gospel goodness. Nothing made me like Kanye more than to see him collaborate with Chance The Rapper on this track. It opens with a 4-year-old preaching about the Lord and is followed by an organ and a choir. "This is a God's dream" is repeated throughout the song and it's one of the most uplifting songs of 2016 - which is pretty rare coming from Kanye. - Mandi Dudek

14. "No Problem" - Chance The Rapper

This song could put a smile on anybody's face. And when you think about Chance The Rapper's happy dance moves, it makes it so much better. "No Problem" is an anthem featuring 2 Chainz and Lil Wayne and it's all about big name labels trying to control hip-hop artists. Which is a big reason why Chance hasn't signed to any labels and gives his mix tapes away for free. He depends on merch and touring to support him, his daughter and his baby mama. - Mandi Dudek

13. "Shut Up Kiss Me" - Angel Olsen

Angel Olsen can laugh. She is no longer just a sad girl with a guitar, but a fun girl with an attitude. And we love the former, but now there are more sides to her. She's singing differently and her band is playing differently. We smell confidence in the air. - Kirsten Spruch

12. "Best To You" - Blood Orange

Blood Orange covers everything from cultural appropriation to feminism to the police brutality in America. Dev Hynes is a frontman who makes his presence known from his outfit to his dance moves. But for this track, he took the backseat and let his featured vocalist take the limelight - Lorely Rodriguez (aka Empress Of). Both Hynes and Rodriguez display pleading vocals that mixes melancholy with mid-tempo beats. This song is so damn good.

11. "The Greatest" - Sia

Sia's "The Greatest" was one of those singles that could still pump you up after the 50th play. It probably has something to do with the fluttery vocal cuts in the chorus, the beat, and oh yeah, Sia's wonderfully powerful voice screaming "DON'T GIVE UP, NO NO NO," in our ears. If crack cocaine had a sound, it would be this song... It actually succeeded in making us feel like we're the greatest. - Kirsten Spruch

10. "Deck's Dark" - Radiohead

Radiohead still have their genius, and this track pretty much proves it. There are so many differently delightful changes which eventually lead to a beautiful guitar-driven peak. It's ethereal, but not too ethereal where the groove gets lost. In fact, the groove is stronger than ever - it's just humble. - Kirsten Spruch

9. "Pink + White" - Frank Ocean

Is that Beyonce pulling through with the backing vocals on the outro? Yes. This track is a reminder that Frank Ocean wanted to come back with a vengeance after being M.I.A. for years. It's a fluttery track and incredibly smooth - in true Frank Ocean form. It's a shimmery track full of strings and emotion and we love it. - Mandi Dudek

8. "Somebody Else" - The 1975

Here's another one of those songs that can be played on repeat forever and ever, and still be the best thing you've ever heard. That arpeggiated synth bass, the voice samples, and Matt Healy's melancholy vocals. Even if you aren't going through a breakup, this song will make your heart sink into your gut and make you think that you are. - Kirsten Spruch

7. "Hold Up" - Beyonce

If Lemonade isn't one of your favorite albums of 2016, you need to take a step back to look at your life. "Hold Up" is - by far - one of the best songs on Lemonade and of this year. It's a fancy, weightless banger that gives you a type of badass rage that makes you want to smash windows in a bodysuit. Leave it to Queen B to make you feel like you rule the world. - Mandi Dudek

6. "33 'GOD'" - Bon Iver

Bon Iver took this album to dive into more experimental, electronic territory, but we're still happy with the amount of real instruments being used - banjo, guitar, and drums. Religious words are thrown in the background with barks as thunderous drums come in. There are lots of weirdly endearing lyrics being thrown out of nowhere as well, but "I'd be happy as hell if you stayed for tea" is clearly one of the best lyrics of the year. - Kirsten Spruch

5. "A 1000 Times" - Hamilton Leithauser + Rostam

When Hamilton Leithauser and Rostam Batmanglij got together to make an album called I Had A Dream That You Were Mine, the world got a little brighter. "1000 Times" examines an unrequited obsession in the form of a recurring dream. It's a Rostam lullaby with a catchy chorus sprinkled with Leithauser's simplistic melody. It's an addicting, timeless beauty and we're so glad these two joined forces. - Mandi Dudek

4. "Needed Me" - Rihanna

Rihanna remains the biggest badass in pop and she went off the charts this year. Her album ANTI had some "eh" tracks but Needed Me was among those songs that makes you feel some type of way. And if you're not convinced, watch the music video. It shuffles between a mansion and a strip club, where she violently shoots the man who did her wrong. It's a sassy, confident song and the vocals would seem whiny if it were anyone BUT Rihanna. - Mandi Dudek

3. "Don't Touch My Hair" - Solange

Believe it or not - this song isn't about Solange telling people to stay away from her hair. This song has so many meanings. First of all, it's a big "f*ck you" to anyone who's trying to change your personal identity. It's a subtle - yet loud and vibrant - track that encourages people to be proud of their hair, clothes, and personality while not being afraid to display their pride. Solange's voice is met by Sampha's as they echo across the borders they raise. - Mandi Dudek

2. "I Can't Give Everything Away" - David Bowie

While secretly fighting an 18-month-long battle with cancer, David Bowie released his final album, Blackstar, and the final track on the album was "I Can't Give Everything Away." The elusiveness left us feeling a little confused, until after he passed and it suddenly made so much sense. "Seeing more and feeling less / Saying no but meaning yes / This is all I ever meant / That's the message that I sent." It's so typical of him to have left us with this. Genius. - Kirsten Spruch

1. "Me And Your Mama" - Childish Gambino

We were expecting a few rap verses when all of a sudden, BOOM!, Childish Gambino comes in with a heavy hitter: a three-part song that involves a whole lot of screaming. And that's why this is our song of the year - Gambino took an enormous risk and presented something that music is lacking: screaming. Music with feeling. - Kirsten Spruch

Hot Baeble Videos
Tigertown live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

XXX 88 ft Diplo

XXX 88 ft Diplo

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

AJR  live at Baeble HQ

AJR live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.