This week, Roger Harvey of White Wives put together what he's dubbed "Old Mixtape," a collection of tunes from actual mixtapes Harvey's made in the past (and some current favorites). For a loud punk-tastic super group member, Harvey's list is surprisingly subtle, with artists like The Magnetic Fields and Kevin Devine strumming heartfelt tunes. Check out our session with the band at Smash Studios
for more White Wives tuneage.
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "Two-Headed Boy" - Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
First mixtape. When my dear friend Nick left for Tallahassee he passed it down to me. I always remember Two-Headed Boy coming through the speakers of his mother's car. It has always stuck with me.
2. "Call Me When It's Over" - Mansions - Dig Up The Dead
I found Mansions earlier this year. We played together in my hometown. Chris gave me this record. I listened to it that night. I'm still listening to it. The best.
3. "I Feel It All" - Feist - The Reminder
It just feels good.
4. "Where Your Nights Often End" - Into It. Over It. - Proper
Evan is a dear friend of mine. His new record is so, so good. Please pay him mind. Listen loud.
5. "Deer" - Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math
"Dear everybody who has paid to see my band, it's so confusing I'll never understand"
6. "11-17" - Kevin Devine - Simple Math
I dig Kevin Devine. This new record is rad.
7. "A Man/Me/Then Jim" - Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous
Jenny Lewis reminds me of being young. Conga drums make me smile.
8. "The Book Of Love" - The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
How many indie/alternative songwriters does it take to pull on the heart-strings of one Peter Gabriel?
9. "Wedding Bells" - Lissie - Why You Runnin'
B.R.E.A.K.S. M.Y. H.E.A.R.T.
10. "Black Pear Tree" - The Mountain Goats and Kaki King - Black Pear Tree EP
I saw them perform this song at Webster Hall. Bought the 12-inch. I have made and will make out to this song.