10 Bands To Get Stoked For At Firefly
  • MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2015

• Posted by: Erin Walsh

Since the first ever Firefly Music Festival in 2012, the lineup has increased from 48 bands to a whopping 111, and the following of the headlining bands seems to also promise a similar increase in ticket sales. Firefly used to feel like my best kept secret, but with their 2016 lineup, it's safe to say the secret's out. Becoming one of the largest Northeast music festivals, the anticipation for the 2016 lineup has been felt by music lovers and festival goers alike, and here is a list of Baeble's ten acts that we're most excited to see this summer.

10. Death Cab For Cutie

I've been listening to Death Cab For Cutie since...forever; and it's always been on my to-do list to finally see them live. Every time they were in the area something always prevented me from seeing them, but thanks to Firefly booking them for a second time since the festival's first year in 2012, I know for a fact I can finally check them off my list. Formed in 1997, somehow the guys of Death Cab are still going. They released their latest album Kintsugi March of this year, and though the band has undergone some evolution in their near 20 years of making music together (including the semi-recent departure of founding member Chris Walla), I can't wait to hear the many classics that I know they're going to reward their loyal listeners with during their set.

9. Florence + the Machine

Florence Welch has one of those immediately distinguishable voices that you can recognize just about anywhere. Her distinct and powerful vocals makes her a talent that I'm surprised Firefly has gone without in previous lineups, but I'm also relieved they're not making that same mistake of going without her this year. I can't wait to hear the chilling harps and celestial melodies among the trees of the Woodlands, a set I'm sure will make all of us grateful we hopped on the Firefly bandwagon this summer.

8. Fetty Wap

No, you're not confused, and no you didn't read that wrong; Fetty Wap is on the 2016 Firefly lineup, and yes, it should be awesome. The Paterson, New Jersey rapper has quickly risen to the spotlight in the past year with hit singles such as "Trap Queen," "679," and "My Way," and even though I don't know what the rapper is even saying half the time, something about his voice and style manages to charm. His sound is unmistakable as is his appearance, with only one of his eyes functional since he lost the other one to glaucoma at a young age. His unique charm that's prompted my interest must have that effect on most people, especially since he's won "New Artist of the Year," from the American Music Awards as one of the many trophies the up and coming rapper can put under his belt. Not only has he won over millions of people and multiple awards, but he must've done something right to win over the Firefly curators. Fetty Wap is just plain catchy and very different from most rap you might hear on the radio today, so I can't wait to see how he'll fit into the festival this summer.

7. Ludacris

Another name that you might be surprised by, or not, since last year Firefly surprised us with appearances from Snoop Dogg and Paul McCartney; you know the curators always have something good up their sleeves. The rapper released his latest album Ludaversal March of this year, and although I can't say myself I'm a huge fan, there's no doubt in my mind Luda's going to put on a show for both the semi-fans, and the die hard followers.

6. Ellie Goulding

Ellie Goulding is all the rage right now with her latest release Delirium, an album she created working side by side with Swedish mega producer Max Martin. She's currently no. 22 on Billboard's pop charts with her single "On My Mind," so it's no surprise Firefly wanted to get her while she's hot, but it's a return for the pop star who also performed at Firefly when it was still a young, up and coming festival back in its second year in 2013. As Delirium gains traction since its release the first week of this month, I'm sure they'll be plenty of people buying their Firefly ticket just to see her.

5. Tame Impala

Dreams do come true, because Tame Impala is coming to Firefly. I wasn't sure what I was seeing when I saw the Australian band's founder Kevin Parker on stage this summer at Governor's Ball, but their psychedelic funk rock made me an instant fan, and since that day it's been a priority of mine to make sure I see them again. Currents is by far one of the best albums to come out this year, and I can only hope the set they have planned for us this summer at Firefly is half as good as the one I got to see this summer, cause I'll tell you one thing...okay, two things; One, it was trippy as shit, and two, it was fun as shit. I already know Tame Impala is going to fit right into the easy psychedelic flow that has come to define Firefly, and their name on that lineup is only going to make this festival even more memorable for its fifth year running.

4. Chvrches

It's no secret that we love Chvrches, and we're for sure not the only ones. They just released their sophomore album Every Open Eye and sold us immediately with the album's lead single "Leave a Trace." Every Open Eye is loaded with the catchy, dream pop sounds from the Chvrches that we know and love, but we'll be sure to hear our favorites from The Bones of What You Believe such as "The Mother We Share," in the killer set they've got to have in the works for the eager 2016 festival-goers.

3. Disclosure

The English sibling duo Disclosure just hit the Saturday Night Live stage recently in promotion of their latest, and second studio album, Caracal. With collaborations with The Weeknd, Lorde, Sam Smith (again), Miguel, and many more, you know you're in for a treat when they perform their set in promotion of this album. The many fan favorites from their debut Settle and the numerous collaborations from Caracal lead me to believe that it's safe to say they're keeping their momentum at an all time high as one of the biggest acts to make the Firefly lineup this summer.

2. Blink 182

Growing up just wouldn't be the same without Blink 182, and I guess growing up is seeing them at Firefly in 2016 (that was an attempt at a cheesy "Dammit" reference, in case you didn't catch it). Despite the fact they formed the year I was born, it's safe to say I know every word from their debut studio album Cheshire Cat by heart, and you're a bold faced liar if you didn't put "I Miss You" on at least one romantic mixtape in middle or high school. Seeing Blink live is one of my favorite memories, and I won't spoil it...but Travis. F***ing. Barker. The show he puts on is unbelievable, and if you've never seen it, you're in for a real treat. Travis Barker and Mark Hoppus still make up two of the three-part group, but the band is no longer led by Tom DeLonge, who left the band claiming he couldn't commit. If the guys don't patch up by the time Firefly rolls around, we'll be seeing them fronted by Akaline Trio's vocalist Matt Sibka. No Tom DeLonge, but Blink's appearance at Firefly in any form is surely fine by me.

1. Kings of Leon

For those of you who went to Firefly this past summer whose hopes of seeing Kings of Leon were destroyed by some serious rainfall and the complete evacuation of the festival, karma is in your favor this summer. Firefly attempts to redeem itself in booking the Kings of Leon as the headliner again for the 2016 lineup, and I couldn't be more excited. The disappointment and frustration you felt last year should feel like a dead and distant memory this summer because you know Kings of Leon is going to put on a killer show to make up for your troubles, and I can't wait to see it for myself.

Comments

Hot Baeble Videos
Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

Kayla Brianna live at The Bell House

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

Tor Miller live at The Baeble Bounce House

Tor Miller live at The Baeble Bounce House

Childish Gambino live at Rockwood Music Hall

Childish Gambino live at Rockwood Music Hall

Johnnyswim live at Baeble HQ

Johnnyswim live at Baeble HQ

Shovels and Rope live at Baeble HQ

Shovels and Rope live at Baeble HQ

Corbu live at Baeble HQ

Corbu live at Baeble HQ

© 2016 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.