12 Best Exclusive Records To Pick Up This Black Friday
  • FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 25, 2016

• Posted by: Gabe Paoletti

This Black Friday, the people behind Record Store Day in April have coordinated a number of exclusive releases for the shopping holiday. This includes giving modern albums and singles their first vinyl release, as well as reissuing older vinyls with unreleased and bonus content. Instead of being crushed by a crowd at your nearest Best Buy, go pick up one of these exclusive records from your local record shop. You can get exclusive and limited edition vinyls that are both pieces of visual and musical art, all while supporting local businesses and ensuring the continuation of quality record stores.

*DISCLAIMER*: For the most part, I've left out live albums and reissues of previously released albums without any unreleased bonus tracks because they don't appeal to me. If you want to see the full list of exclusive albums being released, as well as find the closest record store to you participating in this deal, visit the Record Store Day website HERE.

12. The Afghan Whigs - Black Love

This reissue of the Afghan Whigs is the darkest and, in my opinion, most interesting album. The noir inspired music is dark, moody and powerful, and is truly a great album for a specific mood. This release also includes two more vinyls of demos and previously unreleased content.

11. Erykah Badu - But You Cain't Use My Phone

This mixtape marked the end of Erykah Badu's five year hiatus from music. With this reemergence, Badu incorporated her earlier neo-soul sounds, with newer R&B trends to create a unique piece of music. The quality of the album should be enough to convince you to get it, but if not the stunning cover art should do the trick.

10. Xiu Xiu - Knife Play

This reissue of noise pop group Xiu Xiu's debut album comes packed with unreleased bonus material. The album is a landmark in the incorporation of noise into modern pop music and with the promise of more unreleased content on it, the record is a great pick.

9. Steve Gunn - Ancient Jules

Brooklyn singer songwriter is releasing a song off of his critically acclaimed 2016 album Eyes On The Lines. On it's B-side, the record also contains two of Gunn's never released tracks.

8. D.R.A.M. - Broccoli

This song has been the song of the last year. The bubblegum-trap sounds of the track are amazing, and though it feels like a song that could only exist on the internet, that only makes it more intriguing to have it in an analog form. The record also includes D.R.A.M.'s 2015 hit "Cha Cha" that inspired Drake's "Hotline Bling."

7. Conor Oberst - "Tachycardia"/"Afterthought"

Bright Eyes veteran Conor Oberst is releasing a record with one single off of his latest album Tachycardia paired with an unreleased non-album track "Afterthought." The contemplative singer-songwriter gives us two emotional tracks strung together in this tight vinyl.

6. The Rolling Stones - Ride 'Em All Down

In anticipation of their upcoming album Blue & Lonesome, The Rolling Stones have released their new single "Ride 'Em All Down" on vinyl exclusively for Black Friday. The album is made up of the Stones covering classic rock and blues records that inspired them to make music, and this record is no exception. It's a cover of a song by the same name by legendary bluesman Bukka White.

5. Prophets of Rage - The Party's Over

Prophets of Rage are a rock/rap supergroup including members of Rage Against The Machine, Public Enemy, and Cypress Hill that was formed to combat the insanity of the 2016 election. This vinyl includes both studio recorded songs, and the live songs performed at the RNC convention in Cleveland.

4. Mutemath - Changes

This remix album of synthpop group Mutemath's critically acclaimed LP Vitals is now getting this limited vinyl release. These remixes reinvent and morph the album, creating some unforgettable tracks that work best in conversation with the originals. These remixes come from both members of the band, as well as other collaborators.

3. Run DMC - Christmas In Hollis

I'm a sucker for Hip Hop Christmas music (especially the legendary Death Row Christmas album), so I'm already sold on this. But for those who aren't, Run DMC is a classic Hip Hop group, and with the holidays coming up it's a great record to have. What else would you want spinning on your record player while you roast chestnuts and deck halls and such?

2. Timothy Leary - The Psychedelic Experience

This record is more of an art piece than music. It's an audio recording of a reading from Timothy Leary, Ralph Metzner, and Richard Alperts book The Psychedelic Experience by the authors themselves. In the novel, these early experimenters with psychedelic drugs document their experiences with mescaline, LSD, and shrooms. The record itself is pressed on a magenta splatter vinyl, and the cover art is beautifully trippy.

1. U.G.K. Feat. Outkast - Int'l Players Anthem (I Choose You)

This is my number one pick out of the Black Friday exclusives. Widely considered one of the greatest songs in Hip Hop history, "Int'l Players Anthem" weds the two greatest southern Hip Hop groups UGK and Outkast. These two groups, paired with an amazing sample of soul singer Willie Hutch, create an unforgettable song. What makes this record itself such a wonderful piece, though, is that the it is pressed on a vinyl in the shape of Texas, the home state of UGK.
Hot Baeble Videos
Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

VERITE live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.