MONDAY, OCTOBER 22, 2012 |
Posted by: David Moffly
We finished off our CMJ 2012 showcase in the late hours of Saturday night, and we want to thank everyone: bands and the large crowds who came to participate, support and enjoy the event. We maxed out Spike Hill on both nights. For Baeble, these events give us the opportunity to make the virtual world of our site tangible. We get to see the real faces of the music fans we serve and entertain. As the doorman with the wristbands both nights, here are some observations of the crowd and event from the outside.
- More of you showed up with the Eventbrite ticket on your phones than printed out.
- There was a heavy international presence with France, Germany, Norway, Italy, Denmark, India and Mexico well represented.
- Norway issues a combo Visa card / Photo ID that confused us all.
- Guys with hairy wrists are too worried about the wrist band pulling their wrist hairs. Man-up your girlfriend waxes and you don't see her whimpering.
- Gold Fields' sound literally rocked the street.
- What is it with rowdy Irish guys needing a kiss before going in?
- The dude with the glow stick necklace got ejected. He was at the wrong party.
- We had a rabid, 16-year-old group of Barcelona fans that kept trying to slip in. What were they doing roaming Williamsburg at 11PM on a Saturday night? Do your parents know you are out?
- Vinny the bouncer spoke perfect Italian (of course).
- A hugely enthusiastic and very tall Born Ruffians fan who had difficulty standing in line did his best white-boy version of a Massai tribal dance for the band and everyone around him. Our irritated camera lady snapped the video below.
- A group of Indian girls tried to make off with one of the members of Barcelona.
- A hipster, teen blogger brought her mother along to get her in. Her mom bailed, and she stayed sneaking in and out of the venue. Yes we saw you.
- Every citizen of Denmark in the city showed up to support Choir of Young Believers which made our audience much better looking and much blonder.
- A very good looking French couple would step out between sets to smoke and continue a very important fight.
- Some of you smoke WAY too much. See the Surgeon General's warning.
Thanks for making both evenings a huge success. We'll see you all again at The Launchpad SXSW 2013.