8 Great Musician Cameos
  • MONDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2013

• Posted by: Matt Howard

Back in 1991 every four-year-old - myself included - knew two things about life: Ninja Turtles kick butt, and Vanilla Ice was the coolest music man in the biz. Seeing them together in the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze made way too much sense to our porous, young minds. Obviously, a lot has changed since then, and although Splinter and co. haven't aged a day, unfortunately the notorious white rapper has done so greatly. With Michael Bay's shell-shocked revamp on the 2014 horizon, Robert Van Winkle (that's nerd name for 'Vanilla Ice') voiced his desire to reprise his role in the flick. In an interview with Moviefone, Ice said that he'd happily remake the "Ninja Rap", and would even consider including dub-step. Considering Bay's love for robots and explosions, dub-step "Ninja Rap" doesn't seem too outlandish.

Unfortunately for Mr. Ice, it appears as though the unnecessary band cameo has become a thing of the past. However, many of us grew up with these gratuitous appearances, and we'll never forget those memorable moments of being the first of our friends to notice prominent faces making fools of themselves on the silver screen.

KISS - Detroit Rock City (1999)

Unlike those to follow, KISS' appearance in Detroit Rock City was totally necessary. Without it, the epic journey of Mystery would have been all for nothing. But Hawk (Edward Furlong) still would have come close to slaying Shannon Tweed.

GWAR - Empire Records (1995)

In 1995, GWAR devoured Ethan Embry...and we haven't seen him since.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Clueless

Dicky Barrett went from yuppie high school band frontman to Jimmy Kimmel's co-host.

Digital Underground - Nothing But Trouble (1991)

This is the worst movie of all time, but that's what you should expect when Dan Aykroyd writes a screenplay about a story told by Peter Aykroyd. But hey, there's Tupac!

Rise Against - Lords Of Dogtown

Rise Against covering Black Flag? Works for me.

Jonathan Richman - There's Something About Mary and Kingpin (1996)

Similar to KISS' appearance, Jonathan Richman's cameos in any Farrelly Brothers flick are totally welcomed by me, the next artist, however, not so much.

Blues Traveler - Kingpin (1996)

Nothing says stick around for the credits like a pre-op, Amish John Popper dripping sweating into a harmonica.

Oingo Boingo - Back to School

The primary reason why I always wished my dad was Rodney Dangerfield, and the only reason I went to college. However, I still can't pull off a triple-lindy.

Comments

Hot Baeble Videos
LOLO live at Baeble HQ

LOLO live at Baeble HQ

Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Larkin Poe live at Baeble HQ

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

Great Good Fine Ok live at Industry City

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

Aurora live at Baeble HQ

Aurora live at Baeble HQ

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

Bears Den live at Baeble HQ

Tor Miller live at The Baeble Bounce House

Tor Miller live at The Baeble Bounce House

exclusive interview

exclusive interview

HONNE live at EAR Studio Austin

HONNE live at EAR Studio Austin

SHAED live at Baeble HQ

SHAED live at Baeble HQ

© 2016 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.