6 Songs About Birds, Because Apparently Today is National Bird Day
    • THURSDAY, JANUARY 05, 2017

• Posted by: Jack Labbe

It's everyone's favorite time of year again, #NationalBirdDay. Finally, you're free to spread your wings and learn to fly because on January 5th our country acknowledges our flying friends with activities like birdwatching, studying birds and singing bird songs. We'll give you a few different songs that toucan sing on this day of celebration.

1. "Birdhouse In Your Soul" - They Might Be Giants

"Birdhouse In Your Soul" is a classic track off of They Might Be Giants' 1990 classic album Flood. The bird featured in this track is not technically a real bird, but a "blue canary in the outlet by the light switch." This song serves as an ode to a blue canary night light and I think that fake birds need love today too!

2. "Rockin' Robin" - Bobby Day

Now this song is actually about a real bird. Bobby Day sings about a Robin dancing up in the tree, impressing all of the other birds. This song even starts out with a whistle chorus, giving a voice to the little bird up in the tree.

3. "Bird On A Wire" - Leonard Cohen

This song is probably one of the most heartbreaking songs to ever feature a bird. Written by the late, great Leonard Cohen, this track opens up with the lines "Like a bird on the wire / Like a drunk in a midnight choir / I have tried in my way to be free." You are now free to fly Leonard.

4. "I'm Like A Bird" - Nelly Furtado

Nelly Furtado's classic pop hit "I'm Like A Bird" is a song that no matter how hard you try, will always get stuck in your head. With a folk-pop feel so early 2000's that it hurts, this song still to this day oozes self-confidence and strength.

5. "Three Little Birds" - Bob Marley

Who could ever forget "Three Little Birds"? Now more than ever, this song is incredibly relevant as we say goodbye to everything that happened in 2016, "Don't worry 'bout a thing / Cuz every little thing is gonna be alright."

6. "Disco Duck" - Rick Dee

And last but not least... well maybe least, is Rick Dee's "Disco Duck." This is probably one of the weirder songs I've heard in awhile, however, it is definitely worth a listen seeing as it reached the number 1 spot on Billboard's Hot 100 chart in October of 1976. So, if you're parents say "my generation's music was soooo much better," show 'em this.
    Hot Baeble Videos
    Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Jade Bird live at Baeble HQ

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Melanie Martinez live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Tigertown live at Industry City

Tigertown live at Industry City

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

Alvarez Kings live at Baeble HQ

The Suffers live at Industry City

The Suffers live at Industry City

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Skylar Stecker live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

All On My Mind

All On My Mind

Avalon

Avalon

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.