5 Reasons Why You Should Love Streets Of Laredo
  • THURSDAY, JANUARY 19, 2017

• Posted by: Mandi Dudek

When you hear "private show - invite only" you would think the attendees would be fans of the band - or at least some curious potential fans who came to hear some good music.

But that wasn't the case on Tuesday night at the Rose Bar in the Gramercy Hotel - when Streets Of Laredo played an intimate live show. I walked into a jam-packed room full of guys in suits - who likely came to grab a drink after work - and women in their late 20s/early 30s who were on the prowl for these business hunks. I heard Rose Bar has live music every Tuesday, which might probably a big reason why 80% of these people were there.

streets of laredo rose bar

Let me emphasize the fact that I'm not sad over these people occupying space at an intimate show of a band I adore. Don't get me wrong - it doesn't bother me that people want to meet other people. It bothers me that Streets Of Laredo were playing music from their hearts and all I could hear is the chatter of attendees (on top of multiple sound issues).

And you want to know why I'm really upset? Because Streets Of Laredo should be a band on everyone's radar. They should be a band that you listen to when you're happy or sad and whether it's sunny outside or dumping snow. So, to convince you further, here are 5 reasons why you should love Streets Of Laredo.

1. Their catchy music will make you ridiculously happy.

Every single song on both Streets of Laredo's debut album Volume I & II and their newest album Wild are happy, feel-good songs. About half way through each song at Rose Bar, you could hear the crowd catching on to the chorus. Every one of their songs becomes singalongs by the end.

2. They're a band made up of family and friends.

Streets of Laredo is made up of Daniel Gibson, his brother, David Gibson, David's wife Sarah Jane and two of their close friends. You can feel the chemistry of the band when they're on stage and you can tell they have so much fun together. Daniel Gibson makes eye contact with people all over the room as Sarah Jane smiles through the whole set.

3. They use weird instruments.

Streets Of Laredo uses some pretty normal instruments - like a drum set, an electric guitar, and a trumpet - but they also throw in some pretty funky ones. I mean, a tambourine isn't necessarily "rare" and it fits in well with their magical 70s folk sound, but you still don't see that every day. But let's talk about the keyboard with the tube that Sarah Jane blows into, what! And they have a fun bongo drum with funny features like bigger-than-normal sticks and a sheet thing on the top.

4. Their songs will get stuck in your head for weeks after you hear them.

This is the third time I've seen Streets Of Laredo live and every time, I go home singing their songs and they don't leave my brain for a week straight. Try listening to "Hey Rose" all the way through and not singing the chorus over and over. It's addicting.

5. Because they put on one hell of a show.

Even with all the sound issues - like the microphone squealing so loud that attendees covered their ears - Streets Of Laredo played through it and put on one energetic, exciting and bubbly show. Their happiness is contagious and their music is fuel for anyone's soul. If you haven't heard of Streets Of Laredo yet, jump on it! And if you get a chance to see them live, don't pass it up.

Hot Baeble Videos
Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Vancouver Sleep Clinic live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Beth Hart live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Chelsea Cutler live at Baeble HQ

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Jasmine Thompson live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Matisyahu live at Baeble HQ

Live It Up

Live It Up

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

You Me At Six live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

Have Mercy live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

SUSTO live at Baeble HQ

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

Clean Bandit live at Atlantic Records Recording Studio

© 2017 Baeble Media. All rights reserved.