T.G.I.MIXTAPE 169 CURATED BY CHRIS PORTERFIELD OF FIELD REPORT
FRIDAY, JULY 20, 2012 | POSTED BY: JOE PUGLISI
Chris Porterfield (now known as Field Report, an anagram of his last name) used to be a player in Justin Vernon's old band, DeYarmond Edison. Many are pretty familiar with Vernon now, under his Bon Iver moniker -- now it's Chris's turn. He took a different path, spending six years writing before recording with Paul Kolderie (Radiohead, Pixies) and producing his debut record, which is due in September. It's a delightful collection of that familiar, prototypical Wisconsin folk, but somehow different -- twitchy, haunted, and outrageously crafted. We can't wait for you to hear it.
If you live in the Tri-State area, or will be in New York City this weekend -- catch Field Report Saturday, 7/21 at The Mercury Lounge. For now, check out some of Porterfield's favorite tunes below. Perfect for a rainy day (like the one we're having in New York). Bust out the tea and crank up the stereo.
New! Listen to (most of) the mixtape on Spotify!
1. "The Rip" - Portishead - Third
Warmth. Creeping over you.
2. "The Old Gold Shoe" - Lambchop - Nixon
Sounds like Kurt is inches from your ear.
3. "Piano Fire" - Sparklehorse - It's A Wonderful Life
guitar sounds like you are in the fire.
4. "That Was Then" - Bill Frisell - Good Dog, Happy Man
5. "Laura's Theme (Twin Peaks)" - Angelo Badalamenti - Twin Peaks Soundtrack
It's in every episode, but it still sounds fresh and exciting.
6. "They Have a Theory" - The Willis - The Willis
Wisconsin beauty and honesty.
7. "When I Go Deaf - Low - The Great Destroyer
Tension and grace.
8. "Everyday" - Yo La Tengo - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out
Huge sum of small sounds.
9. "Where Will I Be" - Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball
Perfect marriage of song and production and performance.
10. "Sing For Trouble" - Altos - Altos
Visceral. Cinematic. Kinetic.
11. "Scared at Night" - Kathleen Edwards - Asking For Flowers
Equally crushing and hopeful. Gorgeous.
Article By: Joe Puglisi