T.G.I.MIXTAPE 167: SUMMER 2011 FLASHBACK
FRIDAY, JULY 06, 2012 | POSTED BY: JOE PUGLISI
It looks somewhat different than our original Summer 2011 mixtape, but hey, hindsight is 20/20. Let's remember, together.
Ten songs from the summer of 2011 that make us insanely happy.
New! Listen to (most of) the mixtape on Spotify!
1. "Abducted" - Cults - Cults
Although many favor the lazier "Go Outside," this still stands out as the best Cults work to us, and the true contender for Summer 2011.
2. "Ice Cream (Ft. Matias Aguayo)" - Battles - Gloss Drop
The oft-forgotten single from Gloss Drop (overshadowed by favorites like "Future") was one of the most freaky/kinetic tunes of last summer, and not-so-coincidentally, still gets spins from us.
3. "Family Tree" - Black Lips - Arabia Mountain
I'll never get tired of this song.
4. "A Candle's Fire" - Beirut - The Rip Tide
Beirut is a straight-up incumbent candidate for classic summer songs. If he puts out an album, chances are, it will be superglued to the memory of your summer.
5. "Hold On" - SBTRKT - SBTRKT
We loved this song before we even knew it was pronounced "subtract."
6. "Bronx Sniper" - Mister Heavenly - Out Of Love
This "supergroup" popped up and disappeared pretty quick, but we're still waiting to hear more. Nothing like a good doom-wop album.
7. "Honey Bunny" - Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost
They really don't make 'em like this anymore, especially since lead singer Christopher Owens left the band last week.
8. "How Deep Is Your Love?" - The Rapture - In The Grace Of Your Love
Sure the chorus sounds suspiciously like the end of the pre-chorus of Siqo's "Thong Song," but it's still a classic.
9. "Freaks and Geeks" - Childish Gambino - EP
It's the song that launched Gambino's ship in our opinion, and still one of his finest.
10. "Beth / Rest" - Bon Iver - Bon Iver
The most fun you can have on Bon Iver's self-titled. Holding that position.
Article By: Joe Puglisi