FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 24, 2012 | POSTED BY: JOE PUGLISI
Some days just feel fuzzy-- it's rainy and gray in New York, not to mention all these genre-bending albums clouding and confusing our senses. Every song is like a combination ice cream cone with all your favorite flavors! Today's scoops also include some time-shifted bands, some bands we've been missing for a bunch of years, and some bands that are just beginning to craft their flavor. It's the mixtape, now in 149 varieties.
New! Listen to (most of) the mixtape on Spotify!
Scroll Through The Player To Listen To All The Songs On the Mixtape
1. "Some Nights" - Fun. - Some Nights
The title track from the latest Fun. LP is a great way to start anything.
2. "DoYaThing" - Gorillaz ft. James Murphy and Andre 3000 - Three Artists One Song
Converse is finally shilling a collaboration that feels natural and fun, if not only for the pure joy of hearing Damon Albarn singing alongside a new verse from Andre 3000 (the equivalent of winning some musical lottery). Really looking forward to the reported 12-minute version.
3. "Disparate Youth" - Santigold - Disparate Youth [Single]
The theme of this week's mixtape is the incomprehensible, incredible combination of two different genres to create something awesome. Here, it's punk meets reggae.
4. "Simple Song" - The Shins - Port Of Morrow
I won't believe the Shins actually have an entire new album until I'm holding it in my hands (metaphorically of course, because digital downloadzzzzzz). But in the meantime, this song is fun!
5. "One Armed Scissor" - At The Drive-In - This Station Is Non-Operational
Now is a good time (if you aren't already) to get aquainted (or reaquatined) with the newly reunited At The Drive-In. Here's your primer, taken from a compilation album which is also a good start if you're a Drive-In newb.
6. "Into Giants" - Patrick Watson - Into Giants
Let's take a break and listen to something pretty-- the fragile constructions of songsmith Patrick Watson are a great calming agent for whatever ATDI just did to your brain.
7. "Oblivion" - Grimes - Visions
We're not even sure which genres Claire Boucher is combining in her melty sounding electropop, but we love it.
8. "That Old Black Hole" - Dr. Dog - Be The Void
One of the more criminally underappreciated bands of the day. Dr. Dog gets dismissed as a rehash band, but we've alwa
9. "Make Up Your Mind" - Here We Go Magic - A Diffrent Ship
This track was produced by Nigel Godrich, the oft-proclaimed silent sixth member of Radiohead, hence our enthusiasm.
10. "Rella (Ft. Hodgy Beats, Domo Genesis, and Tyler, The Creator" - OFWGKTA - OF Tape Vol. 2
Typical Odd Future subject matter. Approach with ear caution.
Article By: Joe Puglisi